German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I know there's probably several hundred posts on puppy diet but bear with me.

We got our pup 4 days ago and she's been fantastic, regular eliminations and aside from some watery diarrhea immediately following the journey home, stool has been relatively solid.

The breeder had her and her sibs on Costco Kirkland puppy kibble mixed with a small amount of Costco puppy wet food. I want to eventually phase her off this onto a higher quality or raw diet but we brought some home to keep things regular for her for now.

Thing is, while she's healthy and bright (passed first vet check with flying colors) and drinks plenty, she's indifferent to her food. The food packet recommends 3cups a day, and I would prefer her on 3 meals a day as would my vet, but the breeder was only freedom twice daily. She's a little bit slim for my liking.

She's still eating enough to poop three times a day and sleeping a lot as she should.

Any suggestions as to whether I should keep going with the familiar food, or try to phase it out sooner than I'd planned so as to switch her to something she prefers/will put on some weight with?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
My poodle was a picky eater, even adding a little wet she could skip 3 meals in a row (1.5 days) if she so felt like it. I just let her skip until the next meal, she never starved herself too badly. I even tried switching formulas each bag for variety with no real success

I switched to Fromm last year when Delgado wasn't doing very well on the previous brand that Jazzy was already eating. Suddenly she was eating with gusto, and even now over a year later she still waits for meal time and has only skipped two meals the entire time she's been on this food. She seems to prefer some flavours (I feed their four star grain free line so there's lots of choices) she still eats each bowl regardless

Sometimes it's just finding a food they like :) It might take a bit for that. Another trick I found worked great was adding a little warm water to the kibble, it works for Delgado to slow down his eating and Jazzy prefers the kibble a little mushy.

Go ahead and swap her to three meals if you want, put the food down for 15-20 minutes and pick up whatever she doesn't eat until the next meal. She won't starve herself and I prefer my dogs to be a schedule anyways so they do adapt.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the detailed reply! I let pup have 15 mins per meal then whatever she doesn't eat is taken away.

Seems like a lot of people swear by Fromm's so I swung by a small private owned pet store that have a return policy where if the dog doesn't like the food you can return it. Picked up some gold standard puppy kibble and a couple tins of their wet to mix in. We'll see how she goes with dinner tonight - she happily wolfs down her training treats and her teeth and gums are in great shape so it's all a question of finding the right fit. Finicky puppies, gotta love them haha. :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
My puppy eats Fromm and if I tried to skip a meal she would never let me forget it, and there is never anything left.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I got my 8wk old puppy 10 days ago and I switched him from what the breeder had him eating over to Fromm LBP. I did just a 3 day transition and everything was great. He eats 3 times a day, one cup each feeding.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I feed my puppy Havoc Orijen large breed puppy food. You can do a search. Its one of if not the best kibble you can feed a dog. It's also vacuum packed ....

·
Registered
194 Posts
I feed fromm LBP aswell and my pup loves it. during the first two weeks home she didnt each much at all because she was adjusting still, probably only 1-1.5 cups a day. after that she started eating voraciously. I would hold out switching food right this second and atleast give it a couple weeks. she is just now adjusting to her new home and is probably stressed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the results of the first vet check fecal test today ...coccidia. -.- poor baby.

She is taking her medicine like a champ and the parasite would account for her being slightly underweight and having a sub-par appetite. I know the parasite is a common one so I'm just informing the breeder and putting her immediately on treatment. She's not showing diarrhea or bloody stool so far thank god.

Other than her appetite however she's a champ, voiding normally and playful and quick to learn. Sticking with her food until she's gone through treatment regime and then will switch to Fromm lbp and phase it in. Thanks for all the tips guys!!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Just another thing to mention, after she is better from coccidia, if you want her to put on a little more weight, it's better to keep the puppies nice and lean and have them put weight on later :))

1 - 10 of 10 Posts