German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the sticky post about dog food and read through a lot of them. I didn't see anyone mention Solid Gold puppy food. Anyone have thoughts on this? I have fed my dogs that for a long time now and they have done well.

I also read on the sticky thread about food that it might be better to just feed the puppy regular adult food. This is a new one for me - I haven't heard that before.

I haven't raised a puppy in over 11 years and I'm going to pick mine up next week. I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing!!!

What are the best toys for teething? Do I leave toys in her crate with her? Is she too young to have rawhide or some kind of bone? So many things going through my head....ahhhh...

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
No knowledge of food here but I just wanted to say congrats on your new puppy Linda! I hope this little girl brings so much joy to your life :hugs:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I saw the sticky post about dog food and read through a lot of them. I didn't see anyone mention Solid Gold puppy food. Anyone have thoughts on this? I have fed my dogs that for a long time now and they have done well.

I also read on the sticky thread about food that it might be better to just feed the puppy regular adult food. This is a new one for me - I haven't heard that before.

I haven't raised a puppy in over 11 years and I'm going to pick mine up next week. I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing!!!

What are the best toys for teething? Do I leave toys in her crate with her? Is she too young to have rawhide or some kind of bone? So many things going through my head....ahhhh...
i wouldnt use anything labeled just "puppy"

look for the ones labeled large breed puppy-some are wellness lbp, innova lbp, blue buffalo lbp, or if you like solid gold they make solid gold wolf cub (which is their large breed puppy formula). adult foods are fine as long as you make sure tha maximum Ca levels are close to 1.5% or less.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I started out using Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit kibble which is an 'all stages' food'- the company doesn't make a puppy formula. Stosh didn't do well on it so I switched to Orijen Large Breed Puppy and he loved it, wish I had used it from the start. I wouldn't ever give rawhide- mine liked bully sticks, puppy nylabones and puppy Kong. It had been 14 yrs since I had a pup and I forgot how much fun it was! A crate is a must- I had them sleep in the crate next to our bed for about 4 wks. Congratulations- sounds like one lucky pup

·
Registered
877 Posts
I agree with the poster who said keep the calcium levels under 1.5%. Most "Large Breed Puppy" formulas are designed to meet this standard, however, most ALS foods are NOT!

Always find the detailed analysis... most bags will only list the MINIMUM amount of calcium. You need to be more concerned with he Maximum. Canidae, ToTW, NV, EVO, etc all have calcium levels that are much too high.

Some foods to consider:

Wellness LBP
Innova LBP
Orijen LBP

These are the only ones I know, for fact via reading their detailed analysis, have the correct levels. However, there certainly are other LBP foods available, who one would HOPE to have the correct balance (Blue LBP, Chicken Soup for the Soup LBP, Diamond Naturals LBP, Holistic Select LBP, Solid Gold Wolf Cub, etc).

As for switching to an adult food early, I wouldn't. Unless you switch to a TRUE ALS food (honestly, the only one I know of that meets the under 1.5% criteria is Origen, and only select formulas of that!). Best to wait until at least a year, when the dog is nearing the end of its physical development, to switch over to an adult food.

·
Registered
682 Posts
If you want, I have an open bag of Solid Gold Wolf Cub that has 2 cups used from it, I bought or was buying 2 bags at a time and my pup did not like this food at all so I switched to Orijen. Anyway if you want it you can have it for free, not too sure what it will take to ship to Florida but who knows. If it doesn't go I will be using it for the deer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts