German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time post so hello everyone! I have been reading this forum for the past week and been trying to make some sense so i can make better decisions. Picking up a solid black AKC female puppy today. Her father is a Retired police dog and he is HUGE! Her mother is a big girl too! Ive owned a GSD before (let the ex keep him for the child) and I currently dogsit one for my aunt. Both are "Police breed" dogs so I do have some experience with the bigger dogs :) That being said in the past i tried to feed better food (or so I thought) and do things to keep the dogs on the right path. (I Fed my GSD Pro Plan)

SO down to the point of this posting. After reading and learning here I went to PET SMART and done some research on pricing. I looked at the serving size for a 12 week old 40 pound dog (these figures seemed the most consistent) for a base. What i found is that BB Wilderness Puppy is actually cheaper than IAMS smart puppy large breed. 30 cents per day cheaper! I then looked at tractor supply who had a larger bag of Diamond for large breed puppy and discovered that its 12 dollars a month cheaper! BUT here is the kicker!!! tractor supply has BB for 10 dollars cheaper so it actually is only saving you 2 dollars a month!!! keep in mind these figures are for a 40 pound dog and results will vary but the scale stays the same! The main reason is the recommended serving of BB was 3 cups while IAMS and Diamond was 5!

I done this with the servings as you saw and converted the weight of the bags to grams. Then I assumed the average weight of a scoop to be around 100 grams (this figure does not really matter because its a variable that is consistent across the board) then i did the math and divided the total grams by the grams per day then divided by the cost of the bag and got a per day figure.

So do the math! If you are on a budget you may very well be able to afford a more expensive food than you thought!

also sorry if this is a double post!

·
Registered
82 Posts
To me the amount of money spent means nothing in particular.

My process is to pick the absolute best food for me. Once I have picked out the exact product I think fits my needs the most, I search tirelessly to find the best price for that specific product. Do I buy the large bag at Tractor Supply? Do I buy from PetSmart when they have a sale? Is setting up auto-ship with Chewy.com the best choice? Etc, Etc.

For example, my cats will only reliably use one kind of litter in their boxes (cats are picky sometimes). So I make sure to get the exact product for the cheapest possible price. I often buy this in bulk when it is on sale for example. I personally have a tendancy to lock my eyes on one specific product and make sure to take all retailers into account before purchasing.

I appreciate your sentiment though that saving a ton of money really just comes down to making conscious decisions. We all need to practice thinking about our purchases to make sure we are getting the most value for our money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To me the amount of money spent means nothing in particular.

My process is to pick the absolute best food for me. Once I have picked out the exact product I think fits my needs the most, I search tirelessly to find the best price for that specific product. Do I buy the large bag at Tractor Supply? Do I buy from PetSmart when they have a sale? Is setting up auto-ship with Chewy.com the best choice? Etc, Etc.

For example, my cats will only reliably use one kind of litter in their boxes (cats are picky sometimes). So I make sure to get the exact product for the cheapest possible price. I often buy this in bulk when it is on sale for example. I personally have a tendancy to lock my eyes on one specific product and make sure to take all retailers into account before purchasing.

I appreciate your sentiment though that saving a ton of money really just comes down to making conscious decisions. We all need to practice thinking about our purchases to make sure we are getting the most value for our money.

couldnt agree more but sometimes people (me) turn away from those high end brands because we think they are way 2 expensive. I chose blue buffalo wilderness and IAMS to make my point as i know people who feed iams and say anyone is crazy to pay what BB costs. then in reality they are paying more for something less (they know BB is a better food) I say this because i too was one of those very people.

I pick BB wilderness for puppy based on the information I have pieced together and its availability. Totally recommend everyone else do as you mentioned! my point is just do not let price be a deterrent without first trying the technique I did. You may be surprised! :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
First time post so hello everyone! I have been reading this forum for the past week and been trying to make some sense so i can make better decisions. Picking up a solid black AKC female puppy today. Her father is a Retired police dog and he is HUGE! Her mother is a big girl too! Ive owned a GSD before (let the ex keep him for the child) and I currently dogsit one for my aunt. Both are "Police breed" dogs so I do have some experience with the bigger dogs :) That being said in the past i tried to feed better food (or so I thought) and do things to keep the dogs on the right path. (I Fed my GSD Pro Plan)

SO down to the point of this posting. After reading and learning here I went to PET SMART and done some research on pricing. I looked at the serving size for a 12 week old 40 pound dog (these figures seemed the most consistent) for a base. What i found is that BB Wilderness Puppy is actually cheaper than IAMS smart puppy large breed. 30 cents per day cheaper! I then looked at tractor supply who had a larger bag of Diamond for large breed puppy and discovered that its 12 dollars a month cheaper! BUT here is the kicker!!! tractor supply has BB for 10 dollars cheaper so it actually is only saving you 2 dollars a month!!! keep in mind these figures are for a 40 pound dog and results will vary but the scale stays the same! The main reason is the recommended serving of BB was 3 cups while IAMS and Diamond was 5!

I done this with the servings as you saw and converted the weight of the bags to grams. Then I assumed the average weight of a scoop to be around 100 grams (this figure does not really matter because its a variable that is consistent across the board) then i did the math and divided the total grams by the grams per day then divided by the cost of the bag and got a per day figure.

So do the math! If you are on a budget you may very well be able to afford a more expensive food than you thought!

also sorry if this is a double post!
Congrats on your puppy! Thanks for this

·
Registered
708 Posts
I don’t buy the highest quality kibble but I always have fresh additives to more than make up for it. Every feeding my dogs get either mackerel, boiled chicken, ground beef, duck eggs, sweet potatoes, peanut butter, and on occasion wild game such as squirrel, rabbit and venison. I never bothered feeding a puppy variety kibble, my pups always ate what the big dogs did.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don’t buy the highest quality kibble but I always have fresh additives to more than make up for it. Every feeding my dogs get either mackerel, boiled chicken, ground beef, duck eggs, sweet potatoes, peanut butter, and on occasion wild game such as squirrel, rabbit and venison. I never bothered feeding a puppy variety kibble, my pups always ate what the big dogs did.
Thats awesome, I fed my boy raw for his first 6 months but after it got to 400 a month I had to switch to Orijen it works great but I am still working out how to get back to raw without basically paying a car payment every month! Lol

·
Registered
708 Posts
My kibble I buy from the local feed store is $27 for 50 lbs. I get the cans of mackerel from dollar tree for a buck a piece, sweet potatoes are never more than $1 per pound and often half that. There are ten pound bags of chicken leg quarters at Walmart for $6. Ground beef can be bought for $12 at five pounds. The ducks cost me about $15 every three weeks in food, lol.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My kibble I buy from the local feed store is $27 for 50 lbs. I get the cans of mackerel from dollar tree for a buck a piece, sweet potatoes are never more than $1 per pound and often half that. There are ten pound bags of chicken leg quarters at Walmart for $6. Ground beef can be bought for $12 at five pounds. The ducks cost me about $15 every three weeks in food, lol.
What the... I'm definitely going to do that! I just want the best for my boy, thank you!

·
Registered
82 Posts
couldnt agree more but sometimes people (me) turn away from those high end brands because we think they are way 2 expensive. I chose blue buffalo wilderness and IAMS to make my point as i know people who feed iams and say anyone is crazy to pay what BB costs. then in reality they are paying more for something less (they know BB is a better food) I say this because i too was one of those very people.

I pick BB wilderness for puppy based on the information I have pieced together and its availability. Totally recommend everyone else do as you mentioned! my point is just do not let price be a deterrent without first trying the technique I did. You may be surprised! :)
Oh, I don't pick a high end brand. I'm not advocating for any particular price range either. Most expensive isn't always better! But I certainly would never buy the cheapest stuff either.

I haven't actually done an analysis on Iams vs Blue Buffalo so I would not say that one is better than the other for any particular dog. Iams may be better for some dogs. Each recipe is vastly different from each other. I'd bet that some Iams recipes may be better than some BB recipes and vice versa depending on any particular dogs individual needs.

Each company has different ratios of ingredients. Some have higher manufacturing standards. Some have better staff hired. Some do better testing on their food. Some people's dogs have allergies. Some people buy into Grain Free stuff. Some people believe in higher protein levels. Some people won't buy anything that includes peas. On and on and on.

I weighed all the stuff that matters to me and picked a food to stick with. Its considered middle ground to some, trash to some, and the best pick to others.

Price in my opinion is last on the list. Value is first and foremost every time for me.

I still love doing exactly what you talked about though! If you do it with calories in people food, you can figure out the cheapest way to feed yourself and still survive! Pretty much always comes down to beans and rice. I don't hold myself to that because I can afford not to have to, but I love looking at charts of such things.

It would be an awesome exercise to make a chart for all of the dog foods at each retailer. I personally love to be able analyze such things from that perspective. I always find it rather eye opening even if I won't necessarily change my behavior.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Oh, I don't pick a high end brand. I'm not advocating for any particular price range either. Most expensive isn't always better! But I certainly would never buy the cheapest stuff either.

I haven't actually done an analysis on Iams vs Blue Buffalo so I would not say that one is better than the other for any particular dog. Iams may be better for some dogs. Each recipe is vastly different from each other. I'd bet that some Iams recipes may be better than some BB recipes and vice versa depending on any particular dogs individual needs.

Each company has different ratios of ingredients. Some have higher manufacturing standards. Some have better staff hired. Some do better testing on their food. Some people's dogs have allergies. Some people buy into Grain Free stuff. Some people believe in higher protein levels. Some people won't buy anything that includes peas. On and on and on.

I weighed all the stuff that matters to me and picked a food to stick with. Its considered middle ground to some, trash to some, and the best pick to others.

Price in my opinion is last on the list. Value is first and foremost every time for me.

I still love doing exactly what you talked about though! If you do it with calories in people food, you can figure out the cheapest way to feed yourself and still survive! Pretty much always comes down to beans and rice. I don't hold myself to that because I can afford not to have to, but I love looking at charts of such things.

It would be an awesome exercise to make a chart for all of the dog foods at each retailer. I personally love to be able analyze such things from that perspective. I always find it rather eye opening even if I won't necessarily change my behavior.
I agree with all the different do's and don't's out there its hard to decide, I just went with a high protein food and yeah price isn't a factor unless its like 4-500 a month! But I am going to start going back to raw @atomic had good suggestions! I'm going to see how he does back on raw food!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts