German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

After having my puppy reject Blue Buffalo by diarrhea, many of you recommended I switch to feeding Fromm Heartland Gold LBP. This prompted me to do a price comparison list of attractive dog food brands as reviewed by dogfoodadvisor.com

I found Fromm Heartland Gold to be a little on the expensive side and was wondering if you guys have had good experiences with other cheaper brands that has also been rated 4 stars by that website... (Better than Purina, anyway!) I will list the brands I am considering, please give me your thoughts and opinions!

- Chicken Soup for the Soul LBP
- Eukanuba LBP
- Fromm Gold LBP
- Hill's Science Diet LBP
- Nutro Max LBP
- Premium Edge LBP
- Pro Pac Ultimates LBP
- Simply Nourish LBP

(Slightly more expensive than those listed above, but still cheaper than Fromm HG)

- Horizon Complete LBP (4.5 Stars)
- Wellness Complete LBP (4.5 Stars)
- NutriSource LBP
- Nutro Ultra LBP
- Taste of the Wild Puppy Formula (Both flavors seem to have the same price per lbs)

That said, if Fromm Heartland Gold LBP is the ONLY way to go, then I will buy it...

·
Registered
888 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hi,

After having my puppy reject Blue Buffalo by diarrhea, many of you recommended I switch to feeding Fromm Heartland Gold LBP. This prompted me to do a price comparison list of attractive dog food brands as reviewed by dogfoodadvisor.com

I found Fromm Heartland Gold to be a little on the expensive side and was wondering if you guys have had good experiences with other cheaper brands that has also been rated 4 stars by that website... (Better than Purina, anyway!) I will list the brands I am considering, please give me your thoughts and opinions!

- Chicken Soup for the Soul LBP
- Eukanuba LBP
- Fromm Gold LBP
- Hill's Science Diet LBP
- Nutro Max LBP
- Premium Edge LBP
- Pro Pac Ultimates LBP
- Simply Nourish LBP

(Slightly more expensive than those listed above, but still cheaper than Fromm HG)

- Horizon Complete LBP (4.5 Stars)
- Wellness Complete LBP (4.5 Stars)
- NutriSource LBP
- Nutro Ultra LBP
- Taste of the Wild Puppy Formula (Both flavors seem to have the same price per lbs)

That said, if Fromm Heartland Gold LBP is the ONLY way to go, then I will buy it...
How fast are you going thru the bag of food? Unless it's really cost prohibitive I'd stick with whats working for you. It's a good food and your pup tolerates it well so I wouldn't be in a rush to switch it up, unless like I said it's really cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bramble, thanks for the link. I will look at it tomorrow morning on my computer.

How fast are you going thru the bag of food? Unless it's really cost prohibitive I'd stick with whats working for you. It's a good food and your pup tolerates it well so I wouldn't be in a rush to switch it up, unless like I said it's really cost prohibitive.
Not very quickly atm because she is still below 4 months old. I am only feeding her about 3+ cups of food a day. Neither of the food we currently have for her is working for me. The Blue Buffalo will be returned to petco soon because it has been giving her diarrhea non stop. The Purina is not just bad quality, it is making her have horse sized poop and she is starving ALL the time because it is not keeping her full...

Heck, I have a feeling she's not even full after finishing a whole bowl of food as she continues to beg for more when her bowl is empty. Not forgetting how she scarfs down the purina as if she hadn't seen food since being separated from her mother's milk... I'm also suspecting the purina is making her grow a bit too fast... Not sure if that's just normal puppy growth spurts or the food, but she is just sprouting like a weed atm.

I have no idea what made you think purina is good food or that my puppy is tolerating it well...

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Fromm LBPG worked very well for us. Great company. Good food. If you do price comparisons, however, you do have to take into account calories because a food with less calories per cup may actually be more expensive to feed than a more expensive food with more calories per cup.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Sorry I thought the Fromm heartland was working for you. I use the Fromm gold lbp and haven't had any issues. I switched my pup to that from verus lbp, which is what the breeder was using. I feed him the kibble twice a day with a raw feeding in between.

For me, the Fromm is under $60 shipped for a 33 pound bag and I think the heartland was about the same price but for a 26 lb bag. You're probably going to have to just experiment with different foods til you find something that works but switching from the purina to a higher quality kibble can't hurt.

As for the growth spurts, they do grow really fast and I doubt it's the purina making her grow too fast. Good luck finding a food that's good for you and your pup

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NancyJ, how does calories per cup affect the food/puppy?

thegooseman90, ah no, I have not yet switched her. Was actually planning to just get the Fromm HGLBP last weekend, but I fell sick and I don't trust my hubby to buy it because he doesn't look at pricing or understand the need for a better food than those sold at Krogers x.x And from what I found out, it is about $50 for the Gold and $58 for the Heartland. So... quite a bit more expensive than the Gold heh.

Thanks, BigHemi45.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I know you asked Nancy J but I can answer that. Say your pup needs 1000 calories per day. Cheap food gives it 200 calories per cup, more expensive food gives it 350 calories per cup. In this example your pup would need 5 cups of the cheap food and just under 3 cups of the expensive brand. So over time you'd go thru the bag of cheap food quicker. The difference would honestly be negligible tho because you could buy 150 lbs of old Roy for the price of 30 lbs of Fromm.

I'd vote to try the Fromm. I really like their ingredients and my pup does well on it. You could even just get the 12 lbs or whatever to try it out. Save a little money and less waste if your pup doesn't tolerate it. Even the 12 lbs would last a little bit at 3 cups a day.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Can't figure out how to edit on mobile, but I forgot to mention the above is just an example. I have no idea how many calories your pup needs or how many calories he'd get from a cup of cheapo depot kibble.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Gooseman is right. I can look at the two choices you mentioned though. Fromm helps us with giving calories by weight too!

Fromm Heartland puppy gold is 26lbs/bag and 1815kcal/lb = 47,190 Calories/bag
Fromm Large Breed Puppy Gold is 33lbs/bag and 1731kcal/lb = 57,123 Calories/bag

So in this case, since the LBPG is less expensive per Calorie it actually WOULD be a better buy. It is not always the case, but Fromm compensated by giving you a bigger bag with the LBPG. It comes down to whether or not it is important to you to feed grain free puppy food. It never was to me and many dogs have done very well on the LBPG.

You would just take the cost of each bag and divide by number of calories/bag to get the cost per calorie but you don't need to here because it is clear just from looking at the numbers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting. I have no idea how many calories she needs either LOL! Honestly, I'm not sure why exactly grain-free is so important. I do know that corn being the main ingredient is just downright bad, but then, dogfoodadvisor.com wouldn't rate a non-grain-free food as a 4 star if a 100% grain-free diet was the only diet dogs require.

So being naive, no, it's not important to me, though I wouldn't mind knowing why grain-free was a big deal.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
You can get into a big long discussion on grain free but some claim you are more likely to have allergies with grains and ignore the fact that the major allergens are actually the meat proteins. ....... If you are going to feed a kibble you are going to wind up with some form of carbohydrate as it is necessary for the manufacturing process be it grains, or potatoes, or beans/peas. Pick your poison :). If you have the time and money a raw or a natural cooked diet could be the most nutritious but many dogs have good long lives on kibble. Dogs evolved over time to live with humans and our grain eating ways but they still do not have the kind of enzymes we do to properly process carbs.

Dogs do not need carbohydrates in their diet. Manufacturing does.

While corn is the hallmark of cheap food I don't think there is anything intrinsically wrong with corn other than the fact field corn is highly treated with various insecticides and herbicides during growth...........I think grain free is "such a big deal" because someone figured they could make a lot of money that way and because most grain based dog foods used to have more grain in them than meat.

Dog food advisor is some dentist who came up with a rating scale based on his opinions. JMO. There is good info there but look for good quality ingredients. The lower the calcium/phosphorus/ash relative to protein numbers usually indicates a higher quality protein source. Then look at how your dog does on it.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I would second the recommendation for Sport Dog Food. I feed mosly raw, but have used it for training and tracking, also for supplemental feeding when my bitch is in heat. I think the price is pretty great considering the ingredients. Other than that, I've heard good things about Victor, though have never tried that with any of my dogs (was going to, but then found Sport Dog Food). I like Fromm as a company, and their safety record is great. But I think you are paying a lot of money for fillers with that food. That said, if it works for your dog, great!

·
Registered
849 Posts
For what it's worth, I actually prefer the ingredient composition of the regular Fromm LBP Gold to the Heartland Gold. Unless your dog has problems with grains, grain-free doesn't necessarily mean better. Notice that the grain ingredients in a good quality food will differ from a lesser quality non-grain-free food. No corn or wheat in Fromm's regular Gold LBP formula.

When feeding a good quality food like Fromm, remember that if your dog doesn't have allergies to grains, then grain-free isn't really necessary. You'll get more food for your money that way as well, which is always nice :)

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I currently feed and am happy with Victor hi pro (which is only a 30/20 food) but would rather have less calcium and phophorus and ash for a puppy to have to process.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, seeing as how my puppy is not having allergic reactions to Purina, I'd say she's not allergic to grain lol. Infact, the Blue Buffalo was grain-FREE! xD

We just bought the Fromm Gold LBP and just gave her lunch. Thankfully, she's not fussy about food and gobbled everything up. The kibble size is sooooo cute too LOL! We shall know tonight if she has diarrhea again... Hopefully not...

I'm wondering though, am I reading the feeding recommendations right? At 3-4 months old, I feed her 6+ cups a day? And that's assuming she will be a 60lbs dog full grown? What if she'll be 70-80lbs? 10 cups?

So feeding her just 3 cups a day is UNDER-feeding? I'm so confused! D:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Puppies aren't born with allergies, they develop over time.

Feeding guidelines are just that guidelines. They give you someplace to start at. If she is a good weight on 3 cups a day don't worry. I adjusted how much I feed my puppy based on how they look and feel. Getting a bit ribby feed a little more. Try to avoid her getting pudgy as the extra weight means added stress on growing joints, lean is best for large breed dogs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
She is actually very ribby right now. She puts on a pot belly after meals, but once she poops, her stomach shrinks in until she looks emancipated and just ugly. I'm hoping it's only because she's not actually absorbing much from the purina and because of her growth spurts, but looking at the feeding recommendations, maybe I was indeed under-feeding immensely! o_O

·
Registered
775 Posts
What is her weight now? On my bag guidelines are based on puppies current weight and he's at just under 3 cups for his 15-20 pounds. 6 cups sounds way high.

How often are you feeding her? I split mine up 3x a day but usually his afternoon feeding is a raw feeding. His weight in my opinion is ideal. Could be the purina still working it's way thru but I'd cut back from 6 cups a day to Fromm recommended feeding of about 3 cups per day - depending on her current weight - and give that a week or two. Adjust up or down according to what you're seeing with her weight.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts