German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi recently brought home my new family member, a male sable german shepard, lovely intelligent little boy, the breeder had fed the pups on royal canin.

On the back of the packet it recommends to feed the pup around 250g a day based on an average adult weight of around 35kg split up in to 3 meals for a 2 month old dog.

Does this seem about right ??
20200321_224412.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 9 week old male that I am feeding RC puppy for GSDs and he is eating 3 cups of it split up 3 times a day plus 3 teaspoons of RC appetite stimulus can food split up with each feeding. This is the same thing my breeder feeds here and what his dad feeds at their kennel in Romania. They both just happen to be vets so I follow their instructions. My dog was a little thin when I picked him up due to being in a litter of 7 and now he is really starting to fill out.

Such a cute pup.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hi little dog!
I'm one of those fussy dog parent who counts the calorie of my dog's daily consumption to an extent (along with how my dog's body looks of course)

These websites have been very helpful

On a different note, since you're in the UK there's a lot better food with a lot less price than RC in my opinion. Their branding and distribution worldwide is top-notch but looking at the ingredients, they're all cheap fillers mostly....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi thanks for the swift reply, I keep reading y
The word cups, but I was hoping to weigh out the amount, as cups are all different sizes, is their a good amount in grams I can be using or how many calories I should be aiming for ???

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Those websites literally calculate them for you. You just need to put your dog's weight and age and they'll let you know what's the recommended calorie.....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Based on the RC bag I have 1 cup or 92 grams. The puppy pack my breeder gave me came with a RC measuring cup so that is what I am using to measure out my puppy’s food.

·
Registered
67 Posts
For mine, 3 cups dry and 3 heaping teaspoons wet split into 3 meals. Most of the time he eats it all but sometimes will leave a little so I just add it to the next meal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm only using the rc kibble at the moment and on the back of mine it says to use 388g split over three meals but it seems like quite allot to me ?? And I'm new to this so just checking he seems very full up today after all his meals and think I may have given him to much ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
It does seem like a lot but they need it to grow as they will burn a lot of calories at this stage of their life. I leave mine down for no more than 20 minutes and if doesn’t finsh it then I pick it up and save for the next meal. One thing I have found is that after the last meals mines stool is a bit running at times so the next day I cut back a little and that seems to firm them up the next day.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sounds like plenty and he may even need more. use your gut instinct if you think he can eat more Then give it to him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts