German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 1/2 month old GSD puppy that is fine with people touching him or his food while he is eating. He doesn't growl or stiffen up if you touch him or his face, he doesn't care what you do, but will go after our other dog if he gets too close while he is eating. He is fine with his toys just not food. Is that normal for dogs, should I just keep them separate while eating? or is there something that should be corrected?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I don't know whether it is normal but I can say that my dogs do not get aggressive with each other when they are near each other's bowls. I have a 12 month old GSD that I have had since 7 weeks and an 11 year old australian shepherd. Actually when I think about it though my Aussie never tries to get the GSD's food so I could be wrong on that. I know the GSD will go after the Aussies food and there are no growls from the Aussie and no growls from the GSD when I pull him away.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Food aggression between dogs is common enough to be called normal. It is just undesirable. Try feeding them at the same time in sight of each other but not near. If that is OK, verrry gradually bring them closer over several weeks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts