German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of a puppy issue and I'm not sure how to correct her. Roma (13 weeks old) loves to play and when I try to get her attention so I can take her out, time to feed her, correct her, play with her, etc., she'll flee from me. She'll just run around the house or (fenced) yard. It usually happens when she gets hyper or when she's playing in the yard. She's pretty good at recalls when she's calm, but when she gets hyper, she just runs. I know she thinks it's a game, but I'm not sure how to correct her. Help!!

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
First rule NEVER NEVER EVER!!!! call your dog to end something fun. You may not be doing thsi but I thought I would put that out there just in case. :) Peole tend to cll the dog to do something unpleasant which in turn ruins the recall.

Make it a game too, run away from her and let her catch you! I hope you have a drag line on her so you can catch her by picking ip up or stepping on it.

Game goes like this - Roma needs to come in, you go out to get her and she takes off. You run away and she WILL chase you. When she gets to you step on drag line, engage in play for a few seconds or give her a great tasty treat amd take her in. Don't use your recall word here.

If you do use ad rag line (you probably should be) don't leave her unsupervised with it. I use a 6 foot leash with the handle cut off.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
No corrections! EVER in these situations!

You need to call her, have her come, reward her and LET HER GO! Do that about 1000 times more than when you call her, and then do something boring like take her back in the house!

Other thing to do is call her to get her attention then RUN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION!

You need you have YOU be the best thing in the world so your pup wants to come to you, be with you, stay with you. Tons and tons and tons of teeny treats. You with a tug toy and PLAYING with your pup. Fun fun fun happy happy happy. And way more EXERCISE for your pup so the zoomies isn't a normal part of your pup having to burn off excess energy.

This is what we all want for our puppies:

Instead of just thinking my PUPPY is the problem and my PUPPY needs training :) I realized I needed to do some work too! So I picked up a new skill that I then passed onto my puppy and it's Clicker Training! Perfect for puppies (and me).

·
Registered
682 Posts
Your right she does think it's a game! Don't chase her! And also don't correct her, she needs to learn what it is that you want from her and you need to work on the bond between you and your little one.

For the running away outside, like I said, don't chase her. Try to either walk quick or run in the other direction and she should follow, when you see her following you quickly turn and tell her come (make it fun), here or whatever word you choose for her to come and when she does, praise, praise, praise and treat, treat, treat!!! Puppies are very food movatated so use that to your advantage!

For inside the house I like the NILIF idea but IMO a pup needs boundaries in the house, just give her access to one room for now till she gets a little bigger, this will help with housebreaking issues as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts