German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I recently got my GSD puppy a few weeks ago and he is now right under 15 weeks. I am starting to see on one of his elbow, that it has a sore. I believe it's from laying down hard on his elbows. It seems when he goes into the down position he goes pretty hard - he kind of just falls down into it. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what to do.

He is often in a padded playpen or his crate (just plastic bottom for now).

·
Registered
547 Posts
Jack ran into that issue. The result is his elbows have some thick callouses that protect the joints from getting sore. There was nothing to be done about it for us as we have LOTS of hardwood floors and originally got him at the start of summer. There was simply no convincing puppy Jack that the carpet was better than that cold, marble hearth positioned right under the AC vent.

Maybe others have better answers. We just let the callouses form as part of the natural process of existing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Or if he has a "spot" he likes outside the crate, try a pet bed there. I use washable faux fleece liners for my crates.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the area has spread and is dry, not sure what this is, but if someone knows, please share! I also noticed fleas on my pup can this be a part of it?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,810 Posts
It could be flea dermatitis but I'm not a vet. My ridgie mix had it. The skin on her butt (i guess that is where most of the fleas bit) got dry, and patchy. Skin started to flake and she lost hair. It looked terrible. I had no idea what it was, but once the fleas were gone, she healed up beautifully.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It could be flea dermatitis but I'm not a vet. My ridgie mix had it. The skin on her butt (i guess that is where most of the fleas bit) got dry, and patchy. Skin started to flake and she lost hair. It looked terrible. I had no idea what it was, but once the fleas were gone, she healed up beautifully.
Thank you, I went to the vet today and they said it was ticks that my pup has. Going to get k9 advantix ii as i heard it works better than frontline.

Can ticks also cause the dry scabbing areas?

·
Super Moderator
4,810 Posts
I haven't seen tick allergies but it wouldn't surprise me. I do know that tick bites can be very itchy. I keep scratching mine and my boy has one on his leg that he's been fussing at a bit. That can irritate the skin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts