German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
My boy is 17 weeks and they still aren’t both up, it’s one or the other, and neither are firm, I’m getting worried!
His ears should have been up at 17 weeks. I'd be worried too, sorry! There's good info in the EARS UP???? thread in the puppy section.

To the OP, that is 100% normal. Once my puppy's ears both got up they started curling back at the tips and i got worried. My trainer said it happens to some and nothing to worry about. The trainer also mentioned to never play with, run, pet their ears while they begin to go up though.

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
Ears are hard to predict. Here's Russ at 17 weeks, and then at 9 months.

·
Super Moderator
7,217 Posts
His ears should have been up at 17 weeks. I'd be worried too, sorry!
This is incorrect information. So many factors at play. There are ears that go up and stay up at 5 weeks, there are some that dance around til 5 months and there are those that don’t stand until 6 or 7 months. No room for “shoulds” imo. Gotta be willing to play the game and accept any outcome with this breed (or just rescue them once their ears are already up like me! lolThat said, Gia’s ears were still crooked at 9 months then her skull seemed to widen and they stood ever since.

·
Registered
965 Posts
His ears should have been up at 17 weeks. I'd be worried too, sorry!
This is incorrect information. So many factors at play. There are ears that go up and stay up at 5 weeks, there are some that dance around til 5 months and there are those that don’t stand until 6 or 7 months. No room for “shoulds” imo. Gotta be willing to play the game and accept any outcome with this breed (or just rescue them once their ears are already up like me! lolThat said, Gia’s ears were still crooked at 9 months then her skull seemed to widen and they stood ever since.
I was just basing that off something I read about stages of maturity for German Shepherds.

All dogs are different as we know.

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
I wouldn’t start to get concerned unless a puppy is done teething (at about 6 months) and the ears haven’t gone up. Russ, with his enormous heavy ears, had a soft ear for a little while after his adult teeth came in. I reinforced it with eyelash glue & a couple of breathe right strips, but it was up on its own when I did that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts