German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 13 week old GSD mix (her other half is Husky), but her ears are just like GSD ears.

I'm worried because her ears both used to be mostly up and now one is completely up and the other is bent halfway. She always sticks that ear back too which keeps having it be bent.

At her checkup at the vet I asked and the vet said she didn't think her ear would come up but I could try to find someone local who knew about GSDs to tape her ears, but I don't know if it makes sense to tape her ears at 13 weeks.

Her other ear is totally fine and is standing up, but she doesn't put that ear back as much. I notice that when we wake up from sleeping her ear is almost up, but then she puts it back and it gets bent. I've attached photos to show what I mean and I would love some help. Is it too early to tape her ear? and is there anything I can do to encourage her to not put her ear back constantly? I do think tape will solve the issue, but I don't want to tape her when she's too young and risk hurting her, but I also don't want to wait too long and have the bend in her ear be permanent if there's something that can be done.

Please keep in mind I will love my dog regardless, but I would prefer her to have pointy ears. Please don't tell me to just do nothing and accept it because I would like to see if there's any trips to help her ear stand (or at least to get her to stop putting it back). I will love my dog regardless of course but I would prefer if both ears were up.

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
Your pup is much too young to worry about the ears standing. Give it 6 or 7 more months before you start that.

Have you had a DNA test done on your pup? I'm surprised that those 2 breeds are her parents.

Please leave the ears alone and give them time. They don't need any help at this point.

Cute pup.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
I was just going to ask exactly the same thing. And make the same comments on the ears, lol.
How did you determine Shepherd and Husky?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your pup is much too young to worry about the ears standing. Give it 6 or 7 more months before you start that.

Have you had a DNA test done on your pup? I'm surprised that those 2 breeds are her parents.

Please leave the ears alone and give them time. They don't need any help at this point.

Cute pup.
my bad I put this in the wrong section so I will delete it if I can figure out how.

I do plan on doing a dna test when she's older, but the person who had her before me showed me a photo with her parents and her father was a red husky and her mother was a shorthaired gsd. She actually looks just like a husky, just less fluffy and she acts just like a husky. howling and all. I would honestly be surprised if she was mixed with anything else as I have seen other gsd/husky mixes with her colouring though it is the rarest.

I'll try to stop worrying about her ears since she is super young. Of course I will love her regardless, but I do prefer them both up and I am the kind of person who just stresses over everything, it's not coming from a malicious place. At 5 months (or when she is done teething) I will try to find someone in my area with knowledge on gsds and ask them what they think. I'm just worried because she always bends that ear back and the vet said she thinks it won't come up, though she did say she isn't an expert in gsd ears. But again I worry over everything. She has started to get a "saddle" on her back in a darker colour of tan and I worried over that too even though it doesn't affect her in any way. And her nose is turning a bit brown, and this and that. I just worry about stuff.

Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
253 Posts
She’s in the teething stage. You just need to make sure she has plenty of things to chew. Like everyone else said, she’s too young to worry about ears.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just going to ask exactly the same thing. And make the same comments on the ears, lol.
How did you determine Shepherd and Husky?
I've seen pictures of her with her parents. mother is a shortaired gsd and father is a red husky. I've seen ger colouring in shepsky's before, but it is rare. The pictures don't do it justice, but she looks JUST like a less fluffy husky. Everyone who has seen her in person agrees she looks like a husky. As for gsd I haven't seen those ears in another breed plus she is starting to get a "saddle" on her back. Plus she is larger than a female husky her age should be so she is mixed with a bigger dog. I swear the pictures don't do her justice and I do plan on getting her a dna test, but I don't think the person I got her from was misinformed and while I don't know a lot about dogs that aren't huskies I would be surprised if she was not a shepsky.

I'll try to stop worrying about her ears though. I worry about everything if I'm going to be honest.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She’s in the teething stage. You just need to make sure she has plenty of things to chew. Like everyone else said, she’s too young to worry about ears.
Okay thank you. I'll make sure she always has approved things to chew on. Thank you. I'm just a worrywart because the vet said she didn't think it would come up, but I figured everyone here would be able to calm me down. and even if it doesn't come up I still love her I just worry about any and everything.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Just try to relax and enjoy your pup. My next door neighbor has 2 Husky/GSD mixes and they are wonderful dogs. They never bark, but do howl whenever an emergency vehicle comes down the road.

Have fun with your little one and try not to worry so much! Easier said than done, I know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just try to relax and enjoy your pup. My next door neighbor has 2 Husky/GSD mixes and they are wonderful dogs. They never bark, but do howl whenever an emergency vehicle comes down the road.

Have fun with your little one and try not to worry so much! Easier said than done, I know.
Thanks, I needed to hear this. She does bark a lot, but I think that's because she's just over-stimulated and I'm working with a private trainer to help me know what to do to keep doggo calm and happy. My dog before this was so more calm and different so I just need to adapt to a different dog. I'm still gonna stress because it's what I do best but I'll try to keep in mind that she's a lil baby and to let her ear (and everything else) do what it'll do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts