German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm a new puppy owner. Jazmine is a 10 1/2 week old german shepherd/ Husky mix. I've had her since she was 6 weeks... She came from a "rescue" that im finding out maybe a puppy millish place... but She did this strange thing today and I'm freaked out. We were both laying in bed. I wanted to get up and tried to crawl around her to not wake her up, but when I got up it looked like I may have woke her up ,she was sleeping on her side and she curled up into like a half ball (bringing her forearms to her chest and kinda curling up her hind legs a little) and she like, the best way I can describe it, was convulsed, 3 or 4 times. And then just stretched back out sleepily and went on sleeping. This happened so fast, her little episode lasted maybe 3 seconds max... I woke her up, tried to get her to stay awake. But it is her normally sleeping time... And I sat there watching her and i would nudge her to see if she would wake up. And she would... but she would look at me, and stretch out,
You can tell she really wasn't amused. I Then took her outside to go potty, she peed And then we came back inside, I'm still freakin out a little bit... Watching her every move. She gets some water. A couple bites of kibble. And then she like... Tried to go behind the couch, she even barked at me when I was seeing what she was doing... Which I thought that was weird too... And then I sat out in the living room with her for a moment... She looked like she wanted to go back to bed so she hops up to put her paws on the bed... She chews on her bone (while I'm googling everything I could find even called my friends parents cause they had a dog with seizures) for about 15 minutes and now she went back to bed... So far nothing has happened. It was about 11 at night when it happened and it's almost 1am now, she woke back up cause she had to potty again (number 1 and 2) she then sat outside cause she saw a stick she wanted to chew...puppy ADD .. I'm still gonna call the vet first thing in the morning, but any advice? Am I just freaking out...I'm seriously watching her every move. And I can't even remember they way she walks. If she sways even just a tad I'm freakin out. My friends mom says puppies sleep really hard and I probably disturbed her in a really deep sleep. Normally you can wake dogs up from a seizure. So that little thought has been comforting. And she says it's usually a little more violent then what I have been describing. Anyone have any advice? I know this is a really long post. But I'm scared.... It's my first puppy, in my very first home...(outside of family dogs growing up) ImageUploadedByPG Free1371791356.738878.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
it sounds like she was stretching. Chill, relax, breath My dogs do this all the time. They're perfectly healthy. Also no reputable rescue will allow a pup to leave until they are a minimum of 8 weeks old.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh my gosh... You wouldn't believe the things this rescue has done that sent up a whole bunch of red flags. i tried to report them to the humane society but i have yet to hear anything and I've been talking to a GSD breeder who used to work for rescues. She suggested the department of agriculture in Lansing (I'm from Michigan). I'm glad I have my puppy, she has been a really amazing puppy... But that seriously freaked me out. I haven't had a puppy in close to 9 years. So every little thing I find "weird" I'm googling it... I even just scoped out this website for "hiccuping" cause she does that alot too.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
No, totally fine. I thought my puppy had a seizure when she was having a running dream once, her legs were twitching, her nails scraping the side of the crate at 3 am and it freaked me out. especially because her eyes were half open, but with a poke she was suddenly awake. A friend told me that if it's a seizure you cannot just poke or shake them to get them to stop, and that it will be very violent and you will KNOW

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol I feel really silly freaking out like this. I do appreciate you guys posting on here. I was afraid I was gonna state at this site all night and no one was gonna say anything! She is sleeping now. She has gotten up a couple times to move, readjust, got closer to the fan cause this poor thing has such thick fur. Nothing abnormal since that weird convulse thingy she had 3 hours ago.... Whew.... If for some odd reason it was a seizure... Is there any thing in particular I should look for? Besides that I would not be able to just wake her up?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Google seizures in dogs. Usually seizures last a few whole minutes and are uncontrollable. It says on few different sites that post seizure a dog will sometimes seem dizzy, disoriented and fall - tons of post seizure things as well as good info, probably even videos, about dog seizures

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Kira, if you could see some of the things my 3 year old dog does in her sleep..... you'd either freak out or laugh so hard you cant breath. Its hilarious. I can only imagine what she's dreaming about when she really gets going. My puppy is just as funny but he's vocal during the day AND vocal in dreams. Hearing a puppy do that growl bark in their sleep is adorably funny.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But guys, it wasn't a normal twitch... The whole body simultaneously convulsed... Three four times and the she stretched out... That's what was weird. I'm gonna attach a picture of her at 6 weeks... She is 10 1/2 weeks now. She was laying like this. Then she curled up a little tighter when I moved and then jerked/convulsed 3-4 times and then stretched out a little and then resumed sleep... ImageUploadedByPG Free1371823915.695668.jpg . It was just weird!!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The way she jerked wasn't like the videos. Like her paws came in tighter to her body and her hind legs came closer as well... And then she woke up and stretched and looked like this ImageUploadedByPG Free1371824073.913279.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts