·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a German shepherd puppy.

I noticed that she doesn't like water,
we tried to clean her today. It was a
accident waiting to happen, she choked herself
we tied her leash around some metal bars.
I slowly started talking to the dog while slowly
spraying her with some water. The water its self
wasn't too cold or too hot just in the middle, so anyways
she started to panic. She was running all over the place,
her leash wraped around her legs and she started to run.
she chocked herself pretty hard. The good think is she is fine.
Is there a way that I can make my puppy comfortable around
water? Please reply

PS: She is a little scared of me now.... :(

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
Where do you live? USA? Other country?

Put a puppy in the tub with warm water and use a cup (plastic is best) to pour water gently over her.

I'd be scared if someone tied me up and sprayed me with a hose, too!
No dog cares for baths that way, although some enjoy playing with a hose, it's usually older dogs.

·
Super Moderator
32,030 Posts
My dogs LOVE water. They'll stand outside in the pouring rain and they'll go swimming until we make them stop. But Halo absolutely HATES being sprayed with water from a hose. (Keefer loves it, he likes to bite at the water, lol!)

Rather than use the hose outdoors for baths we bathe them in the tub with warm water. We do have a sprayer nozzle, but the water pressure is much lower and the spray is gentle, so she doesn't mind it. When she was a puppy I bathed her in kitchen sink. I don't know how big your puppy is, but I'd recommend starting there if she'll fit.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Agree, use a tub. Put only a few inches in at first, and turn all the water off before bringing her into the tub--the running water is confusing and scary.

Be careful about "warm". What is merely warm to we who understand hot water heaters is, to a dog, a warning of something hot that is about to burn them. You're better off using cool water. GSDs thrive in cool outdoor water.

You need a collar on her in the tub, and you'll need to hold it with one hand so she can't jump out while you wash her with the other hand. Yes, it can be done. But don't hold her rigidly in one position--let her sit, stand, move a little, so it is as relaxed an experience as possible.

This was how we got Liesl through her puppy bath stage. She will now submit to a hose in the backyard, but still strains to get away and requires us to stake her to the ground or hold onto her collar. Otherwise, she loves swimming in ponds. Some dogs like baths, but most do not.

·
Super Moderator
32,030 Posts
Be careful about "warm". What is merely warm to we who understand hot water heaters is, to a dog, a warning of something hot that is about to burn them. You're better off using cool water. GSDs thrive in cool outdoor water.
Good point. "Warm" water should be lukewarm, not hot. I test it on the inside of my wrist before I direct the water onto the dog.

·
Registered
89 Posts
When we brought Brutus home he was super scared of water. I took a cup and poured water on him very slow to get him used to it. You have to be really gentle with it. My boy loves water now. like the others said make sure the water isn't really hot.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My puppy is 8 weeks old she doesn't run or jump but she does wine, we are trying our best to make her bath time fun by bringing toys and treats when we bath her but it will take time i hope she learns to love the water because we live on an island, and i want to take her to the beaches and rivers for r&r

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
how old is the pup?

did you use a spritz bottle to spray her down? If so it might be the shpritzing-hissing sound and being aimed at

try using a very wet hand towel and giving her a wet-rub riffle through the hair .

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
i hope she learns to love the water because we live on an island, and i want to take her to the beaches and rivers for r&r
With all of our GSD's I would take my time sitting on the water's edge and play with my pups (with favorite toys too), never pressing them to go into deeper water. I let them explore and become comfortable with it so it was a fun place not a scary one.

Eventually, they all LOVED the water and I couldn't keep them out of it!

Good luck!
Moms:)

·
Super Moderator
32,030 Posts
This is how we bathed Halo when she was little:

We've never had a shepherd that did not love water and swimming. Halo is still not a huge fan of baths, but tolerates them just fine. Keefer likes baths, he's always enjoyed biting at the water coming out of the nozzle. Once they're too big for the sink we use the tub, which has a pull out hand held shower head.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Pasha never liked water , and he is 17 month now and never been bathed ... :) when we first tried (maybe 2-3 times) he got really crazy , exactly like you described , he was trying to climb to wall to escape, looked like someone was trying kill him or smth :) so we stopped trying...
now we wipe him that's all...he doesn't like to be wet under the rain, and he definitely doesn't like the spray bottle for his barking punishment...basically he doesn't like to be sprayed with anything...last week we took him to the river, he did great, he followed me into the water... he is great in the river and swims well, doesn't mind to get wet and swim and play with me in the water....he really enjoyed it in the nature...
never tried the bath tub though....I am sure that will not work either...next time i will bring shampoo to the river and wash him there while swimming....he likes anything involved in playing...

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Compare her fear with you being bitten by a scary spider and some else tells you "no big deal, here is another spider, why worry, see? Nothing happens when the spider touches you". It will take time and work to get over it, same with your dog.
Go back to level 101. Put a harness on her to prevent discomfort when she wants to get away. Do not use a nozzle but let the water gently flow from the hose. Get a helper who gently holds the harness and feeds her treats as soon as the water comes out. Make sure there is no air in the hose to prevent startling. Do not wet her yet and let the water flow close and around her feet. When this goes well, wet her toes. I that goes well, stop the session and the treats. Do not stop when she startles (meaning that you moved too fast) but go back a few levels and stop when things go well. Next session: start all over as in the first one but now, move up towards her legs, all four but with each leg you start with the first level. And so on. Keep sessions short and fun. In the meantime you can get her used to the sound of the nozzle but do not work with it until you can fully wet her down with just the hose. Small steps makes for swift progress.

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Bathing in the sink or a tub would get them used to a bath better. A quiet spray attachment and a warm quick bath. Work her through it she will eventually learn there is nothing to be afraid of. Max and Luna both love to swim in the water but they only tolerate baths. As young pup I got them use to the waters edge they love to gallop through the Sand bars of collected water near the ocean as pups. I would walk in the waters edge myself. I did this for awhile as winter and to cold to swim. For their very first swim I go to the bay where it's no waves. I walk in the water and both of them just followed as pups on a long loose lead until it was deep enough they had to swim. I don't force them in the water they come willingly. They love the water and it's fun to watch them play tag in the water- I'm just there to make sure they don't drown each other- lol!!' I have a spray nozzle on my hose and just bought a sink connector so they can get warm Hose downs after the beach outside. Beaches are a great place for socialization - there are all kinds of people around and your pup is engaged with you and having fun with you playing ball and swimming in the water.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts