German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanna share and discuss this puppy dog food, what do you think about it's features, ingredients and guaranteed analysis?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Both rice and wheat are in the first three ingredients. And based on that alone, I wouldn't feed.

And "poultry meal"? I mean, it's not by product meal, but what type of poultry? Chicken? Turkey? Duck? Some random mix?

I also don't like "puppy" foods because they can cause very rapid growth... Something you especially don't want in larger breeds. Or they offer no significant nutritional value that you wouldn't find in the "all ages" food.

This food does seem better than most grocery store foods... But IMO, that isn't saying much.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both rice and wheat are in the first three ingredients. And based on that alone, I wouldn't feed.

And "poultry meal"? I mean, it's not by product meal, but what type of poultry? Chicken? Turkey? Duck? Some random mix?

I also don't like "puppy" foods because they can cause very rapid growth... Something you especially don't want in larger breeds. Or they offer no significant nutritional value that you wouldn't find in the "all ages" food.

This food does seem better than most grocery store foods... But IMO, that isn't saying much.

Okay, which do you prefer Vitality classic or vitality high energy? what's the difference.

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Shepherd mom, hadn't gotten into large breed vs "normal" puppy food. As you said, phosphorous and calcium levels are extremely important for large breeds. Sometimes a good quality "large breed puppy" will have the appropriate levels, sometimes it.'a just a label, which is why I encourage more people to look at the ingredients and nutritional values rather than the front claim.

Phosphorous and calcium should be around a 1:1 ratio, at around the 1.5 level each.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts