German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deuce is 11 weeks old, and when you can COAX him to come with you behaves quite well on a walk (aside from a bit of leash biting). BUT, you have to be at least 6 houses away from home - going or coming back - in order for him to behave.

He will fight not to go for a walk, RUNS home at the first opportunity.

I am worried that maybe i was too strict at first with leash training and this is the backlash. No, I did not 'drag' him around or anything like that, but I certainly was strict about keeping him moving with me. I had read some articles about how if he gets ahead just turn around and go the other way and I did those things, but now he would just prefer to stay home thank you very much!

HELP!!!

I have tried walking with him off leash and same things - you have to be away from the house for him to not run back home. I have also tried going a short distance, offering a treat, encouraging, praising and repeat, but apparently he isn't THAT interested in a treat - he sits on the steps and thinking ........ If that treat means i have to go for a walk - no thanks!

Did I mention - HELP???

Donna

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
11 weeks is pretty young to expect much at all. I wouldn't be overly concerned with leash manners just yet. Right not, just getting him out of the house and out into the world for socialization is the most important thing.

Put him in the car and drive to new and different places for him to see and explore--stores, parks, friends house, schooyard, etc.

Keep everything right now pure fun--following you, watching you, and (occasionally) being quiet---these are the things that should earn big praise. Everything else will build on that in the weeks to come.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Been there done that. Bogart loved walks, but didn't want to leave the yard. We had to drag him down the street (figure of speach) it got better as he got older. We can walk him from home but when we reach our driveway, he puts the breaks on.

It will get better, patients!

Bogarts Dad

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Both my GSD pups had the same desire to stay home, so I didn't fight it. We used my yard for poops/peeps. But for exercise, I'd pack them in the car, go somewhere away from the house, and then let the fun begin.

As they got older, this yearning to stay in the yard faded and I had no trouble leaving with them. But that was closer to a year old.

·
Registered
15,957 Posts
Gee, he's only eleven weeks old and you were already doing heeling corrections by not letting him get ahead? Yes, I think you did too much but I don't think the dog is "broken." Would it be safe for you to just drop the leash and keep going? I've used that with a reluctant puppy before. I had two other dogs with me and it became clear that we were going on down the road. Puppy decided to catch up before we got very far. Another possibility would be to just pick him up and carry him for those six houses...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Where I live it's not safe to leave the leash, but a modification of that is get someone else (someone you trust of course) to hold the leash and whenever he stops you just keep going. I do this when me and my girlfriend take the dog out, whenever he stops me or her (depending on who has the leash) will just keep going, it doesn't take long for him to start looking for the missing person and run to catch up...

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
When you did the treats, did you have the treat right infront of his nose? No dog would refuse a nice yummy treat like cheese. You could give him special treats just for this to lure him forward. Have him on the leash and be VERY patient. Also, like the others said, he's just a baby, so take baby steps. Every time he goes one step forward, praise like crazy! Make everything you do fun and exciting!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well since I wrote my initial post we have had the good, the bad, and the ugly with walks. This morning he was trying to bite my legs/pantlegs!! We turned around and came home - walk over (the ugly"). Tonight he came for his walk willingly (the good), a bit of leash biting ("the bad"), but when he went to bite at my legs he tasted the bitter apple i had put on my pantlegs. Didin't take him long to realize that didn't taste too good. I do let him offleash for a good portion of our time out for free play, and at times he is off leash to walk as well. He does need to explore his world.

I don't know why he would bite at my legs. He doesn't do that to my husband. Anyone have any ideas or other ideas as to what to do?

Sure appreciate all your help. I appreciate knowing there are others out there who have been through similar experiences.

Donna

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I believe someone posted in another thread that puppies don't like lemon juice. How is his nipping in the home? Does he nip you and not your husband? He may see your husband as the pack leader and not you. How does he walk for your husband?

A temp. fix may be to spritz the leash and your pant legs with the lemon juice while your walking.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Quote:I don't know why he would bite at my legs. He doesn't do that to my husband. Anyone have any ideas or other ideas as to what to do?
I know why, cause it's fun and many things for puppies is a big GAME!!! And biting is the best game of all!

Put that puppy in the car and drive somewhere safe you can really exercise it. Clearly he's ready to go go go and the leashed walks aren't cutting it (they never did for my pups either).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think it is a cute thing that they don't want to leave their home. Maybe its a sense of protection for your home or your puppy is afraid that you will get lost and don't know the way back!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Originally Posted By: 1stTimePupOwnerI think it is a cute thing that they don't want to leave their home. Maybe its a sense of protection for your home or your puppy is afraid that you will get lost and don't know the way back!
A puppy is too young to have a sense of protection. If they did any barking or acting out at a stranger it would be out of fear. Sometimes they will bark to alert you that something is up in the home, but they are more then likely acting out of fear, especially at this young an age.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts