German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hans is now 3-1/2 months old. He finished his last round of puppy shots so I've been taking him all sorts of places. Unfortunately he's started digging in the backyard! He used to "dig" in the living room, on the hardwood floors but I got him to stop pretty quickly by giving him a toy to chew on instead. I tried the same method outside but he gets bored of the tug of war and goes back to digging! At first I just moved him away gently but now, it's gotten close to almost a push and he still digs! I never leave him outside unattended but I have no idea how to stop his digging. I rent my home so the last thing I want his a bunch of ditches in the backyard and my landlady telling me I can't live there with Hans.

Any advice would be extremely helpful. Also, I've corrected him as many as 8 times! All while waiting for him to "gehen pipi." >_<

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
My husky was a digger but she was adult. So I don't know if this will work for a pup. I buried her poop in the hole and covered it up - she stopped digging there. For another hole, I put a rock over that worked too. Boards or a log would work also. To give the pup other things to do: Tying a tug or an old towel to a rope and to a tree or fence post is fun for a pup - it helps to swing it first so the pup starts to chase. Also a child's wading pool with toys I did find it best to compromise - pick an area where the digging was okay and then work on discouraging from the other areas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interesting! I am having the same problem with my 5 month old.

I have actually planted sod for her to poop on eventually, but she keeps digging it up for some reason. I am going to try this poop-burial technique :) Some things about dogs are so weird :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
From what I've read when mine started to dig, a lot of german shepherds do it.

I let him dig in a little square which I used to grow tomatoes in. I don't anymore, so it was okay to let him have it. Till it rained and he totally went crazy with the puddles that formed in the holes he had dug up. He made goop out of it, and rolled around in it ecstatically. He hates water normally.

At 4 months he still digs, I just let him have his fun. It hasn't gotten too crazy yet and I can pull him away from puddles when we walk in the park.

I wonder if a sandbox with dirt in it will do?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Good idea - but try sand instead, be easier to clean up. I would keep it covered at night or any stray neighborhood cats will use it :) For the water, try a small child's pool - he can enjoy that and it is clean water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts