German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, my male full breed is 14 weeks old right now and gaining on avg about 5lb a week. right now his diet consists of Purina puppy chow twice daily approx 4-6 cups each meal.

While talking to a lady today at obedience school, she mentioned that she had been told that its best to keep your puppy pretty lean the first year of their life to help combat the hip dysplasia. She stated that she feeds with Science Diet for large breed dogs.

My question is, what food should I be feeding my pup, and what can I do different to keep the HD from arising and becoming a problem?

·
Registered
12,142 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow, that seems like a lot of food. I have a 14 week old male GSD and he eats 3-4 cups of food total per day via three meals. He's just north of 30 lbs and lean as a whip. I'm feeding Biljak large puppy dry food with a teaspoon of cottage cheese.

Mike

·
Registered
32,020 Posts
Science Diet is a horrible food. You can find much better for the same price.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Theres just so much information re: diet and foods. its hard to get an unbiased opinion. What dry foods are you guys feeding your puppies, and in what quanities?

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
That's why I provided the above links...so you can research for a good quality food. (quantity is going to vary depending on quality...the better the quality of food...the less you feed)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After reading, and speaking with my vet and my obiediance instructor who primaily trains GSD's, I have decided to try out Purina Pro-Plan Adult food.

any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
32,020 Posts
My thought is ask your vet what his/her nutritional experience/education is. I'm willing to bet not much. I'm partial to grain/corn free foods.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
In general, the commericalized brands are not the best food to feed. If you've seen a commerical for it, then it's probably not the best food. Try to find a holistic store in your area, or search the forums for food. Depending on where you are located you can find local dog foods (I feed Fromms because its made 20 minutes away) or I'm sure you can find a store that has quite the variety of grain free food.

The price may seem more, but your dog will eat half as much daily and its much better food. Just look on the package for the recommended feeding table and you'll be shocked. That's when I first started to question what's in the brand name foods compared to the other stuff available. My six month old eats less food per day than you feed yours now. He gets about 2.5 cups per meal (thats less food all day then you feed a sitting), and we're giving him way more than recommended.

And why the adult food? Puppy food generally has more protein which your puppy needs more than anything right now. I know he's a large breed, but he shouldn't be off of puppy food for a while.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
After reading, and speaking with my vet and my obiediance instructor who primaily trains GSD's, I have decided to try out Purina Pro-Plan Adult food.

any thoughts on this?
Sorrry I used to think ProPlan was a good quality food, and used it for years, but after spending hours and hours of trying to figure out which "better" food I could switch to, I switched to a kibble that was rated "3" stars, not the best and not the worst but definately better than ProPlan. I dont want to recommend a particular brand, you have to read the ingedients and figure out what works for you.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
Alright, my male full breed is 14 weeks old right now and gaining on avg about 5lb a week. right now his diet consists of Purina puppy chow twice daily approx 4-6 cups each meal.
5 pounds a week for a pup is way more than I'd want mine to gain. My male gained an average of 2# a week fed a raw diet. Now at 2 yrs he is about 90#

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I would keep the puppy lean and mainly let it grow up while those bones are forming. It takes about 18 months for the growth plates to close and you really don't want to do a lot of forced excercise - like jumping, running on concrete etc during this time.

There is such a jumble of opinions about food. YOu are on your own there!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Saber is 14 weeks and I am guessing about 25-28 pounds. She gets 3c/day of Orijen Large Breed puppy and about a half cup of chicken cut in pieces for training treats.

·
Registered
329 Posts
my vet pushes science diet but he said he recommends any food you can only get at the pet store and not the grocery store . he said if necessary have to get food from there he would go with IAMS. since its better nutritional and make the stool more soild.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts