German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The breeder I got our puppy from cooked for her dogs. I dont mean she heated up a meal, I mean she cooked steak with greeen peppers, garlic and beans. The dogs had meat loaf and gravy. Turkey, chicken breast basted in sauce and mashed potatoes. My husband and my child dont eat this well everyday so the idea of continuing to cook for the dog was hard to swallow.

I mixed plain ol' cooked steak in with her food for the first week, gradually lessening the amount I added until she had dry food only in her bowl. I noticed that she was eating less and less as the days went on.

During the second week, to try and coax her into eating I added some canned puppy food to her dry food. This is where I suspect the problems began. She got a case of diarrhea. I took a sample to the vet to have it checked and it came back fine.

I fasted her for 12 hours or so and started her in on rice and bland chicken. I also gave her some pepto bismal. The diarrhea went away the next morning. I gave her dry food and she would not eat it. Since she was looking a little thin around the gills from the fasting and the rice, I felt bad and gave her some canned food again to coax her into eating.

Last night (1.5 days after I gave her canned food again) the diarrhea came back. I started her on rice again this morning and again gave her some pepto.

I am pretty sure after all this that the canned food is to blame since it is the only constant during the diarrhea time, but has anyone else experienced this? Am I missing something else maybe? I would like to go home tonight and start the dog back on her dry food and leave it at that, but I am concerned that she wont want to eat it. My husband says that she will only go so long before deciding to eat the dry food offered and that I need to be stronger and not feel so bad.

Ideas? Suggestions?

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
All of these quick switches rice and chicken one day then dog food the next is not good for the pups system. When using the bland diet, you need to slowly introduce dog food in and wean the chicken and rice out.

Also has the pup been checked for worms?

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Mandalay - Did they check for Coccidia (sp) and Giardia (using the Giardia antigen not the regular fecal)?
These two are not uncommon in pups.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They did not do a blood test, no. The vet had mentioned that we could, but she said that since my puppy was UTD on her vaccinations and I am sure she was okay before and in between the canned food that she thought it was probably not needed. She did mention that would be the next step if it persists past this weekend though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts