German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am sorry if this is not the correct section for this Q guys but I couldn't find another one ? So the thing is my pup always seemed to be prone to rashes/( or is dandruff..?) and when he came to us he was scratching like crazy but that turned out to be cause of ticks n the scratching is almost non existent now... But he had these bumps and sores visibly on his elbows (pic attached) and the breeder recommended Turmeric with Kohoba oil and it worked amazingly But he still has like dandruff in some places like under the tail, arms, armpits and hair seems thin around there too.. its getting very tiring applying tht ointment...
Can some1 plz suggest smthin fr this..? I feel really sorry for the pup its most likely due to the climate its supeeeer hot these days but there's nothing we cn do abt it... ?
Also he turns 4mos on Fri thas him now ?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
First of all, what are you feeding?

Hans had dandruff as a puppy, and the vet recommended evening primrose oil. It worked quite well, and can’t hurt anything.

·
Super Moderator
6,290 Posts
Salmon oil is also really good for skin and coat health.My husband's little dog had skin and fur issues when he first adopted her.After two weeks of adding the oil to her food there was a definite improvement.After two months her skin was clear and her fur was shiny.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all, what are you feeding?

Hans had dandruff as a puppy, and the vet recommended evening primrose oil. It worked quite well, and can’t hurt anything.
He has milk/kibble in the morning then his 1st rice which has meat items like chicken breast, fish, eggs, liver etc.. Depending on the day and veggies like pumpkin, carrot, potato (again a mixture depending on thr day) thn a yoghurt in the evening n 2nd rice at night... The ointment works well fr him but there's jzt no end to this dandruff... ?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And a quick Q how often cn i bath him..? He has had like 3 baths so far since we gt him at 6 weeks which i believe is too much but the climate here is jzt so bad ?

·
Registered
262 Posts
And a quick Q how often cn i bath him..? He has had like 3 baths so far since we gt him at 6 weeks which i believe is too much but the climate here is jzt so bad ?
I have bathed my male twice in the 6 months I have owned him. There skin is very sensitive and can get very dry/itchy. The less you bath the better, only bath them if they are dirty. I also recommend the salmon oil. I have been giving it to both my puppies since day one, they both were very dry and itchy when we got them and they both have nice healthy coats/skin now. I just add it to there breakfast.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx guys I will look into the salmon oil and coconut oil ? Also the Vet recommended using an Anti dandruff shampoo when bathing him which i haven't used yet but is tht Ok?
As for his hygiene @Jenny720 he's a very naughty pup rolls in mud, plays in the rain, etc etc ? We try to clean him as much as possible and he's brushed daily but with the weather n all its all prolly affecting his skin... ?

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
A dirty pup is a pup that is having fun lol! If gets worse and no better- severely itchy skin and loosing weight and hair loss in that area can be a sign of sarcoptic mange- that would be worse care scenario but be cleared up fairly quickly most often skin scrapings are negative. . Cytovet is a great shampoo you can for troubled skin. I had used phytovet c and you can get often at your vet’s office. Not sure for use in pups just check. Really good stuff. Wondercide has nice gentle natural shampoo bars also.
https://www.amazon.com/Henry-Schein-PhytoVet-Antiseborrheic-Shampoo/dp/B018ZUAEAM

https://www.amazon.com/PhytoVet-4-Shampoo-16-oz/dp/B008LYBU56/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?adgrpid=59739645047&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_bzgnsjo4gIVh0GGCh1bzADhEAAYASAAEgLqo_D_BwE&hvadid=274741760797&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9004562&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=16375109679116575670&hvtargid=kwd-358664609956&hydadcr=14563_9765748&keywords=phytovet+c+4+shampoo+16+oz&qid=1560501273&s=gateway&sr=8-3

https://www.wondercide.com/natural-solutions/dog-dandruff

·
Registered
888 Posts
He has milk/kibble in the morning then his 1st rice which has meat items like chicken breast, fish, eggs, liver etc.. Depending on the day and veggies like pumpkin, carrot, potato (again a mixture depending on thr day) thn a yoghurt in the evening n 2nd rice at night... The ointment works well fr him but there's jzt no end to this dandruff... ?

His meals may not be properly balanced. Puppies do not regulate certain nutrients as effectively as adult dogs so imbalances are noticeable sooner. Rice and potatoes are starchy nutrient poor fillers and pumpkin and carrot tend to be high in sugar. If you want to feed fruits and veggies then choose green leafy veggies like kale, spinach, chard, asparagus, broccoli, cucumber, zucchini, ect.... If you are going to feed a home cooked/prepped meal you need to make sure it is properly balanced especially with a puppy because they are still growing so an imbalanced diet can cause more issues than with an adult.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

His meals may not be properly balanced. Puppies do not regulate certain nutrients as effectively as adult dogs so imbalances are noticeable sooner. Rice and potatoes are starchy nutrient poor fillers and pumpkin and carrot tend to be high in sugar. If you want to feed fruits and veggies then choose green leafy veggies like kale, spinach, chard, asparagus, broccoli, cucumber, zucchini, ect.... If you are going to feed a home cooked/prepped meal you need to make sure it is properly balanced especially with a puppy because they are still growing so an imbalanced diet can cause more issues than with an adult.
Thx we do give him spinach almost daily but the others i will try to add as well... Cn u plz tell me other items to add fr a home cooked meal fr it to be balanced? As for the rice i certainly can't stop it cause as far as ik almost all dogs here hv a rice diet with veggies n meat... I dont knw any1 giving raw meat and fr sm reason dogs here are not that fond of kibble... I gav dog food fr my pup but after eating continuously fr like a week he didn't like it so we stopped it and now only give here and there...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A dirty pup is a pup that is having fun lol! If gets worse and no better- severely itchy skin and loosing weight and hair loss in that area can be a sign of sarcoptic mange- that would be worse care scenario but be cleared up fairly quickly most often skin scrapings are negative. . Cytovet is a great shampoo you can for troubled skin. I had used phytovet c and you can get often at your vet’s office. Not sure for use in pups just check. Really good stuff. Wondercide has nice gentle natural shampoo bars also.
https://www.amazon.com/Henry-Schein-PhytoVet-Antiseborrheic-Shampoo/dp/B018ZUAEAM

https://www.amazon.com/PhytoVet-4-Shampoo-16-oz/dp/B008LYBU56/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?adgrpid=59739645047&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_bzgnsjo4gIVh0GGCh1bzADhEAAYASAAEgLqo_D_BwE&hvadid=274741760797&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9004562&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=16375109679116575670&hvtargid=kwd-358664609956&hydadcr=14563_9765748&keywords=phytovet+c+4+shampoo+16+oz&qid=1560501273&s=gateway&sr=8-3

https://www.wondercide.com/natural-solutions/dog-dandruff
He's a very naughty pup indeed! ? I certainly dont remember going thru so much trouble and issues with my 1st gsd... Every1 jokes we brought in a bucket of trouble xD
He's not that bothered by the dandruff actually... Ofc whn we try to touch and handle too much he'll start biting but generally its fine and he's having no other issues so far... We hv the Vet's appointment tmrw so I will check into all the suggestions here! ?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Thx we do give him spinach almost daily but the others i will try to add as well... Cn u plz tell me other items to add fr a home cooked meal fr it to be balanced? As for the rice i certainly can't stop it cause as far as ik almost all dogs here hv a rice diet with veggies n meat... I dont knw any1 giving raw meat and fr sm reason dogs here are not that fond of kibble... I gav dog food fr my pup but after eating continuously fr like a week he didn't like it so we stopped it and now only give here and there...

I feed raw not cooked so I can not help you with that. I am sure there are plenty of websites, facebooks groups, and books about creating a balanced home cooked diets. Put in some effort and see what you can find. I personally would not feed rice daily because it contain arsenic, more than any other food.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/arsenic-in-rice#section2

1 - 13 of 13 Posts