German Shepherds Forum banner

Puppy cut his pad - Urgent

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  NancyJ 
#1 ·
Hi.
I was playing with Zack outside for about an hour, and I kept noticing blood on my hands (I thought I cut myself with a sharp stick or something like that and I ignored it)
when I got home, I noticed blood on the floor... I took Zack and I washed his paw with a shower-head, and then I put him in the crate for a while...
We don't have anything like a disinfectant... It doesn't seem to be a very deep cut, but when I walked in he was leaving blood with every step.
Is a visit to the vet necessary?
What do we do now? Just wait for it to heal?

#2 ·
Baking soda or flour made into a paste with a little water will stop the bleeding, depending on the depth it might need stiches or it might be ok healing on it's own.

#5 ·
It doesn't look "deep", it's not even too much of a cut, it's like something just sliced him, it's hard to notice (at least when I was washing it, I couldn't see anything).
I'll see if he is still bleeding and I might use your method.
I think if it stops bleeding he'll be ok to heal, but I really want to make sure. I can take pictures if needed.

#7 ·
No, just check it every day to make sure if there is no sign of any infection (heat or swelling) and rinse it off after you go outside. If you parents have any epsom salts you can soak it twice a day for 10 minutes.

Cut pads are just part of being a dog!

#9 ·
Yes rinsing is needed as you don't want dirt or other material getting into the cut, higher chance of infection

Just use a small bucket of warm water at the door and dip his paw in and then gently pat dry.

#10 ·
Ugh, of course my mum isn't too keen on that.
Would wiping the paw with a baby-wipe work??? You know, the wet ones?
My mum is sick so I don't blame her and she said she can wipe it with those baby wipes...
Would they work?

#12 ·
I'm sorry, I don't see a link or a picture anywhere :(

@@To those who didn't see from the first page:
Can we use baby-wipes instead? My mum is ill and she doesn't want to play around with water too much I guess.
But she's ok with baby wipes. Can we use that?

#14 ·
When our Jake cut his paw pad as a pup our vet suggested washing it twice daily in an Epsom salt water bath (can't remember exact measurements) and keep it wrapped with gauze and vet wrap. After a few days it was dried up and the loose skin fell off.

I wouldn't use baby wipes ... I imagine that would hurt.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#15 ·
IT is like any cut-if you keep dirt out of it the better off it is and less likely to get infected. No different than if it was a cut on you. It would be easier on your mom to swirl it around in a cup of water or even pour water over it than to wipe it with baby wipes and you can soak it twice a day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.