German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

My husband and I got a new GSD puppy male of 8 weeks a few days ago. He is doing well, but absolutely hates the crate. I know all puppies do, but he goes crazy when hes in there. The girl we got him from states that both of her GSDs hated their crate and thats why she never put them in one for long. Ive tried putting him in there even when we are home, same reaction. The crate is in another room that we arent in very often. Should i move it to the living room? Also, my main concern is that when we let him out (hes never in there long, maybe an hour and a half tops) maybe not even once a day, he cries for a long time afterwards. he will be eating and crying, outside and crying, crying and trying to jump all over us for a good while afterwards, even when i leave the room he cries/barks and chases me. Has anyone else experienced this and could this be normal for young pups? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I know its so hard to see your puppy cry! Unlike you, I was a total whimp and made the mistake of not crate training except for at night. Trust me though the crate training is essential so keep at it. Kudos to you for looking for advice instead of giving up on it. I do think you should move the crate into the livingroom and put toys in there. Make it his little space.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
The crate is in another room that we arent in very often. Should i move it to the living room?
Also, my main concern is that when we let him out (hes never in there long, maybe an hour and a half tops) maybe not even once a day, he cries for a long time afterwards.
Yes, I think you might get a better result if he is crated in the same room that you spend the majority of your time in. The crying and frantic behavior once released from the crate might be due to a sense of isolation. He is still such a baby at this age, and babies don't like being isolated.
Sheilah

·
Registered
75 Posts
Our puppy cried like crazy when we first brought him home and put him in the crate at night. Once we moved the crate into our bedroom the crying stopped. :)

·
Registered
748 Posts
I've had three puppies in my "adulthood" and they all loved their crates. I made it a fun place, I would give them treats in it, I never used it as punishment, I kept the crate in a room that I was in most of the time. I was also persistent...I never let them out of their crate when they were crying. I waited until they were quiet no matter what.

My dogs, through their entire lives, would go willingly into their crates even when they didn't have...or to get away from me when they did something wrong. :D It was nice because they'll need to be crated at the groomers, if you board them, when they fly, when you clean, when you have people over who are afraid, etc.

My current dog goes into his crate to throw up. It's FABULOUS. I didn't even train for this, but my carpet thanks him.

I found that my dogs were much more relaxed if the crate was where I was...so I rotated it from my living room and bedroom.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

Thank you all so much!!

He actually sleeps in our bed at night - has done well ever sine we brought him home, doesnt get up, no accidents, and we shut the door just in case he does get up and we dont notice. I dont let him out until he stops crying, but that never seems to stop. I wait for a moment of silence away from the crate and come in. He stops crying for the most part when he sees me briefly. Hes been out of the crate for about 3 hours or so, and even when i run downstairs to grab something he goes nuts and starts howling and crying. even when I walk into the kitchen out of his sight when hes lying in the living room he cries and runs to me. Its so sad!! i just hope this gets better. Since my husband and i currently work, i am taking him to my moms house to get some 1:1 time since I cant give that to him right now during the days im at work. Eventually I will take him to a daycare so hes not alone by himself all the time, especially while hes so little. I just dont want him to sink into some sort of separation anxiety and grow up like that.

I will be moving the crate into the living room now :)

Thanks for all the replies/help/encouragement/support =):):laugh: We love our little guy, and want him to have the happiest/best life possible

·
Registered
748 Posts
Have faith, he's only eight weeks. You just got him and he's a baby. But after a week or two (those are HARD weeks), it's gets immediately better. By at least 11-12 weeks, my dogs were sleeping through the night, had stopped crying in their crates, and were going to the door to be let out to go potty.

I did sleep on the couch in the living room for the first two weeks because it was easier for middle of the night potty breaks.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
You need to have the crate in the room with you, that means bedroom at night.

He's not crying cause he hates the crate.

He's crying cause he's trying to tell his 'pack' that he's been abandoned and can't get to them! It's communication like if he fell in a hole, or was stuck somewhere and you needed to locate him.

So keep the crate in the room you are in. I personally only crate at night (crate beside bed) or when I'm not home at all (so they know I'm gone and don't scream cause they hear me in the next room and don't understand why their 'stupid' human doesn't realize they can't get to me :) )

Generally when I'm home I use closed doors and baby gates to keep the puppy in the room WITH me. That way they can learn the house rules and I am there able to watch and pay attention for the housebreaking and playtimes.

BTW, if you are generally in one room and there is carpeting, I found purchasing a huge brown plastic tarp from Home Depot and spreading it over the carpet made any cleanup so much easier and took away all the anger that may have otherwise come up from having to clean the wall-to-wall carpeting AGAIN!

Remember he WAS 100% surrounded by his brothers and sisters and mom and never EVER alone until he hit your house. Previous to that his life was full of fun play with littermates when ever he wanted. Now he only has YOU. So you need tons of toys. Be available to play tug and chase and go for walks and play and chase and tug and play and..........................

THis is what he had:

·
Registered
303 Posts
I think the key here is that your puppy needs to be close to you.
Being removed from mom and siblings is hard. You are now his pack and being pack animals they need to be close by at all times at least until more mature.
He is a baby and needs all the closeness and reassurance you can give, in return he will dedicate his entire life to you.
We used a short tie down like Guide Dogs for the Blind uses but it gets the same results as a crate.
Take them out of the crate only to go potty, then if they do it's play time for awhile, if they don't it's back in the crate until they do. Keep the pup near you always, in or out of the crate. They need love and hugs and lots of reassurance.
Here's ours on her tie-down in our bedroom.
She is now well adjusted as an adult and sleeps wherever she likes including our bed at night, on my wife's side of course.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts