German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a 12 week old and just got her a crate. It’s a 42” with barrier. I’m not sure how much room to give her in the crate? I’ve set it up to be 14”d x 28”w. It seems like enough for her to turn around and sleep, but don’t want too much room as I understand it could allow her to soil the area. All comments are appreciated!! Thanks in advance! ** I would not leave her in with her collar on - this was just for pics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your reply! It helps a lot to be a part of these forums with so many experienced members!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would be careful with the bedding, as she may decide to tear it up and consume it. This could lead to an intestinal blockage and a hefty vet bill.

A safer option for padding in your crate is a Primo Pad: https://www.primopads.com/product/primo-pad-2/

Hello! I have a 12 week old and just got her a crate. It’s a 42” with barrier. I’m not sure how much room to give her in the crate? I’ve set it up to be 14”d x 28”w. It seems like enough for her to turn around and sleep, but don’t want too much room as I understand it could allow her to soil the area. All comments are appreciated!! Thanks in advance! ** I would not leave her in with her collar on - this was just for pics.

View attachment 559498 View attachment 559497

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good idea! Wouldn’t want anything to happen to her, and thank you for the link. I’ll check with primopads to see about shipping to Canada or if they have another supplier up here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I gave my puppy a bit more room, but then I have to be honest and say she pooped twice in kennel. She's my first puppy. I used old towels as bedding. She didn't tear them up. She only ever completely destroyed one toy LOL

I love your puppy's ears.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Last night she was in it as I had set up (Seen in the pics) and she did fine with the space. Didn’t seem to small as she was able to turn around. She didn’t touch the bedding either but I still may change it.

Thanks! Her ears are crazy I love them too! LOL

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Never leave her in the crate with a collar on. I'm sure that was just for the pic, but it's very dangerous.
I was outside with Bud doing some training and had to come in to take a call. I unclipped his leash and shoved him in the big wire crate for a minute since I had guests over. I was in the living room talking on the phone and could hear this odd sound so I went to the kitchen to investigate. Bud had somehow gotten the ring on his collar hooked around one of the wires on the crate and he could not get up. He was 8 or 9 years old, fully crate trained and to this day I have no clue how he managed it. One of the reasons I dislike wire crates.
Your puppy is adorable and I love the ears!

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Mine had no bedding until they were older. Both the dogs I have now shredded anything I gave them. I use a wire crate when I’m in the room or occasionally during the day if they aren’t in one too long and plastic airplane crates at night. One dog is crated when I’m gone. The other is so well behaved, he is loose all day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The collar was for the picture only for sure. I was told about the possibility of the collar getting caught by a friend a while ago. So far she’s been doing quite well in there! I took the bedding out for now (it was a blanket) and I’m looking for Primopads or something similar here in Canada for her.

thanks! Her ears are a focal point that’s for sure!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
My opinion, you don't have enough room in there for the dog. I have used a large crate, no barrier and zero messes in the crate. This is the same over 6 GSD and 40 years.

I started my current (6 month old) pup in a non sectioned 40" crate and had to get an XL 48" crate when he was 4 months as he couldn't stretch out flat. He's in there basically from 11:00 pm to 7 AM and never soils.

Fed between 5:00 and 6:00 pm walked between 10-11:00

Your dog is WAY too cramped. My opinion

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. I’m not completely against giving her more room, however I’m not sure all puppies are as well behaved as yours have been to not to soil in the crate when there is too much room. My neighbor has a puppy who soiled when there was no barrier and she had the run of the crate. I just don’t want to cause issue with housebreaking and having her potty in the wrong place. Thank you for your reply! I’ll definitely look at adjusting the barrier a bit and see how it goes.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
The collar was for the picture only for sure. I was told about the possibility of the collar getting caught by a friend a while ago. So far she’s been doing quite well in there! I took the bedding out for now (it was a blanket) and I’m looking for Primopads or something similar here in Canada for her.

thanks! Her ears are a focal point that’s for sure!!
When Bud got old I found a lady who was making something like the hospital pads for dogs. I will poke around and see what I can dig up.
Where in Canada are you?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts