German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i was wanting some opinions about a crate size for a puppy? I was thinking the 30" one. I do understand they out grow them. I have a huge 48" crate that is downstairs. I need a smaller one for upstairs beside the bed for when she sleeps as I do not want her downstairs alone, especially if she needs to let me know that she has to go out. It is not feasible to put the 48" by the bed as we have sloped attic like ceilings and it very much wont fit :/. Anyway just looking for something for maybe 2 months or so till I can trust her not to potty during the night..

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you search the threads on here you will see a lot discussed about crate size.

The crate should be a cozy den for your dog. Just big enough for them to stand up and turn around in comfortably. Anything bigger and they could use it as a restroom. What you can do is get an adult size crate that comes with a divider that you can use while the puppy is still growing and remove when they are adult size and can take up the entire crate.
You can also just close up some of the larger crate you have now so you don't have to buy something new.

The size of the crate depends on the size of your dogs though - just find one that will best suit his/her size to stand up and turn around in without being smooshed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you search the threads on here you will see a lot discussed about crate size.

The crate should be a cozy den for your dog. Just big enough for them to stand up and turn around in comfortably. Anything bigger and they could use it as a restroom. What you can do is get an adult size crate that comes with a divider that you can use while the puppy is still growing and remove when they are adult size and can take up the entire crate.
You can also just close up some of the larger crate you have now so you don't have to buy something new.

The size of the crate depends on the size of your dogs though - just find one that will best suit his/her size to stand up and turn around in without being smooshed.
I don't have her yet and need it to be prepared for her coming home tomorrow. Since we wont get home till midnight i need to have it ready to go. As I said I already have the adult crate and it does not fit in the room. And i have searched the forum and there is alot of posts just like that suggesting a divider which i already have which do not help me.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am not sure what you are asking then.
If you just want to get a smaller crate to keep in the room for when you 1st get the puppy... do that.

Most of the advice given is to make sure you have the right size for all stages/sizes of your dog.
Crates are pricey but if you want to get a small one now, do it... then adjust as the dog gets older.

You don't have to keep the puppy in the bedroom with you either. Just set a timer and check on the puppy every few hours to let it go outside to potty. Your puppy is going to be vocal at 1st and you are not going to be able to tell by listening to it if it needs to go outside or if it just wants out of the crate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts