German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31,115 Posts
Black. They can only produce black. both sire and dam must be a/a in order to be black so'a' is the only gene they have to pass on.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Yes...black only. Black is recessive to all other colors. A dog must carry black un order to produce it. A black GSD can only carry recessive black. So if both sire and dam are black each contributes black recessive, so you can only get black.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I just bred my black bitch to a show line sadle back. I am hoping he carries black recessive to produce black puppies in this litter. The sires granddam and great granddam on his sires side are black.

·
Registered
31,115 Posts
there is a "dominant" black gene but it seems to be only in the show lines and only out of one certain country.

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
OP, as others have said, the puppies will be black, UNLESS both dogs carry the genes for blue or white, then you could also get those colors. :)

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
I just bred my black bitch to a show line sadle back. I am hoping he carries black recessive to produce black puppies in this litter. The sires granddam and great granddam on his sires side are black.

Curious to see the pedigree of the sire of your litter. Do you have a link?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts