German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

As mentioned in other threads I live in Mexico, so, my puppy has not touched the streets (lots of stray dogs and a city hot enough for parvo), we were trying to avoid viruses, but still happened. Please do not judge the fact that he has not gone to parks or streets yet, it was trying to take care of him. Anyway, we are going to start walking him and doing some new things with him, he is almost 5 months.

He has a regular nice looking collar so far. But our old working line when I was a kid used a choke collar for some time, while he was learning.

We know choke collars might not be as good and reliable and might hurt a puppy (we did not know back then). My dad did not know. Anyway, we do not know if we should get a harness, a prong collar or a martingale collar with quick release.... Our breeder and his trainer suggest a prong german collar in a month or two... But I dont know. Any suggestions? with collars and a leash? And if you dont mind, would you share the link or picture? Sometimes, I get lost in translation with things that are really specific.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
No prongs on puppies. My favorite collar is a martingale. I use them on all my dogs.

As for not taking your dog out, better safe then sorry. You may be a bit behind but the risk of injury or illness outweighs that. It just means you may have more work to do now, but that means more time with your puppy and that is a good thing.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I've been successful with Mei using a slip lead. A lot of people may be against slip leads and I understand why. They only work well and are successful if used properly. The first class I got her in, the trainer went into great length and detail on how to properly use it.

Like I said. Mei has responded well with the slip lead and I've liked using it during training. I'm slowly going away from it though currently because she has been doing so well on walks and in public lately.

Oh and with the slip lead there's no need for a collar. I still have a collar on her anyways though for her tags.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Don't be worried. I kept my dog out of parks and public areas until she was 19wks and she was done with her vaccinations. There's nothing wrong with keeping your pup at your place until meds are done

You won't be behind on anything. Socialization is not forcing your pup to interact with other dogs. It's showing your pup new smells, sights, feelings (textures like gravel, pavement, grass, dirt), and sounds. These can be done at home or even take your pup for a ride in the car

Puppies need more bonding with their owners more than interaction with strangers and other dogs. That can come later at no consequence

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No prongs on puppies. My favorite collar is a martingale. I use them on all my dogs.

As for not taking your dog out, better safe then sorry. You may be a bit behind but the risk of injury or illness outweighs that. It just means you may have more work to do now, but that means more time with your puppy and that is a good thing.

Yes. I know he is a little late for some things, but we are trying our best with him. He has visited my grandparents house though, also his vet and some other relative. A lot of people come to the house. He really likes people, but we are afraid of how he will behave in a place he does not know where dogs (with owner or not might show up). So we need a good collar for his own safety.

We are also looking for group classes for him (only found one so far), most trainers only do the training courses where the dog has to stay with them for a month or so, and we are not okay with such kind of service.

Will any of these collars work?
Both are martingale....

https://www.chewy.com/petsafe-premier-quick-snap-martingale/dp/55725

https://www.chewy.com/s?query=martingale&nav-submit-button=

·
Registered
942 Posts
I've been successful with Mei using a slip lead. A lot of people may be against slip leads and I understand why. They only work well and are successful if used properly. The first class I got her in, the trainer went into great length and detail on how to properly use it.

Like I said. Mei has responded well with the slip lead and I've liked using it during training. I'm slowly going away from it though currently because she has been doing so well on walks and in public lately.

Oh and with the slip lead there's no need for a collar. I still have a collar on her anyways though for her tags.
Be like Mei! In the sense that if you want to use a prong/slip/e collar that is fine but just have a knowledgeable trainer show you how to correctly use it first! (And IN PERSON)..otherwise use what you know!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Be like Mei! In the sense that if you want to use a prong/slip/e collar that is fine but just have a knowledgeable trainer show you how to correctly use it first! (And IN PERSON)..otherwise use what you know!
Ya, I thought of the board training also but I like the idea of trainer coming to my house/neighborhood where my dog is spending most of her time. Trainer trains me at the same time. Shows me the way then watches me work with Mei. Just from the first training session i've had with this guy, I've come to realize I'm the one doing most of the work/training with Mei and the trainer is essentially training me. I love that!

But like @Chuck94! said, if you use any of those "correction" collars or leads, learn how to use them correctly first. Even if that means watching some youtube videos, but make sure they are reputable.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't be worried. I kept my dog out of parks and public areas until she was 19wks and she was done with her vaccinations. There's nothing wrong with keeping your pup at your place until meds are done

You won't be behind on anything. Socialization is not forcing your pup to interact with other dogs. It's showing your pup new smells, sights, feelings (textures like gravel, pavement, grass, dirt), and sounds. These can be done at home or even take your pup for a ride in the car

Puppies need more bonding with their owners more than interaction with strangers and other dogs. That can come later at no consequence

Yes, he has been exposed to noise, to the barking dog next door (a really anxious female malinois), birds, buses and cars near, my youngest sister is 9 and is quite loud herself.... Many other noises at the tv and videos we had looked for him... He has been at our cars, in his rides to the vet and twice to my grandparent's.

There is gravel and pavement in our backyard, also dirt... He runs and plays there a lot. He is quite curious though, and usually finds his way to parts of the backyard where he is not allowed (either that or my 9 year old sister helps him). That's how he ended up eating some rotten tomatoes from my mom's farming.

Anyway, we are afraid he might not socialize well with other dogs and creatures, so we want to take him out for walking and probably a group class in a week or two.

Any particular collar or leash you might suggest to keep him with us?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I will look for a slip lead, to know what it is, are those too dangerous if we are not experts?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I know everyone's got an opinion about prongs. Many don't like it. What I do agree with them is that...don't get one unless you are trained by professionals to use one. They can hurt a puppy if you don't know how. They have to be fitted properly too. For me, it was a game changer with my previous GSD and my current pup. I was taught to use one properly by my trainers, otherwise I wouldn't have used it.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Yes. I know he is a little late for some things, but we are trying our best with him. He has visited my grandparents house though, also his vet and some other relative. A lot of people come to the house. He really likes people, but we are afraid of how he will behave in a place he does not know where dogs (with owner or not might show up). So we need a good collar for his own safety.

We are also looking for group classes for him (only found one so far), most trainers only do the training courses where the dog has to stay with them for a month or so, and we are not okay with such kind of service.

Will any of these collars work?
Both are martingale....

https://www.chewy.com/petsafe-premier-quick-snap-martingale/dp/55725

https://www.chewy.com/s?query=martingale&nav-submit-button=

You are doing fine. He has had the exposure to the things he needs. I have found that the martingales that work best are the ones with chain instead of nylon one the slip part.

https://www.amazon.ca/Leather-Marti...68719&sr=8-10&keywords=dog+collars+martingale

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts