German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone recommends puppy classes; however, there seems to be a huge catch 22 in this whole idea of puppy classes. Some recommend you start them at 8 weeks, some at 10 weeks and some not until 12 weeks.

Jada is 10 weeks old and has had her first two sets of shots however not her third. When did you guys start puppy classes. Everyone says socialization is huge between 8-12 weeks but the puppy is properly vaccinated and protected yet? I'd like to hear all opinions. I'd like to put her through the 6 week course at Petco for $99 for socialization more than anything. She already knows sit, down, stay, come and paw.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I would try to find somewhere near by that's a little more reputable than PETCO or Petsmart.

I took Dutch to a Puppy Romp last weekend at a clean and controlled environment. I'm taking him again tomorrow. I'm also planning on signing him up for classes that begin on the 27th. I'm considering enrolling him in two different sets of classes so he gets plenty of socialization.

I've heard the window is 8-16 weeks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Absolutely get into a class as soon as you can. It will
help both you and your pup immensely.

Vaccination requirements vary.

When it came time for our classes Abby was a bit too
old for the puppy class and a bit young for the regular
beginner class. I got her at 12 weeks of age and by
the time she had her shots and I recovered from the first
couple of weeks she was 16 weeks. 18 weeks when we
started our class. They put us with the adult dogs in the
beginner class. It has worked out well.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I took my 9 week old puppy to an AKC Star Puppy class from a local dog training club that required you have a letter from your veterinarian stating that they had their first shots and that the puppy was healthy. It was a great class. I really socialized my puppy as much as I could right after I took her to the vet for a checkup.

I highly recommend puppy classes...the sooner the better.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
The prime socialization window is 8-16 weeks. I have people come to the house until the 3rd shot at 12 weeks and then I start puppy class/socialization outside the house at 12 weeks. It's not worth the risk to get them out too early and 12 weeks is plenty young enough and within that critical window.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I also went to a STAR puppy class- they allow pups from 8 wks, you just have to bring record of the fist round of shots. Since all the other pups have them too, it's a safe as can be expected. I went to a local obedience training club, if you become a member for $20, the 6 wk classes are $30. Much better organization and training than a pet store. Just google obedience training club in your city and you should be able to find one close enough. Or look for a private trainer that has classes. Puppy classes make all the difference in the world!

·
Super Moderator
32,801 Posts
This was the requirement for the puppy classes I took:

Requirements: Pups must be between 10 and 18 weeks of age at the start date of class with 2 DHLPP vaccinations, one of which must have been administered after 8 weeks of age but at least 7 days prior to the first session.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my pup started puppy class at 10 weeks old.
he had to have his 2nd round of shots.
the pups were exposed to a lot of things.
it wasn't just play. the pups walked steps,
dremel training, mock Vet exams, walked on
wet floors, walked on leaves, played
on the exam table, walked through the collasped
agility tunnel, met cats, everybody petted
each others pup and more.

i believe socialization is important throughout
your dogs life.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
don't wait for puppy class to train and socialize.
train and socialize everyday. expose your pup to many things
and situations.
I agree, use your commonsense and get out there with your puppy.

While I'm sure some puppy some where has gotten an illness from another puppy in puppy classes, I know that for me (and I know hundreds of people that have attended) none of them have gotten sick from other dogs in class.

The tend to eat something bad at home or injure themselves at home, or something along those lines.

On the other hand I know TONS of other adult dogs that were NOT socialized properly as puppies and those dogs are a nightmare!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.