1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have these items ready for my puppy:

4 nylabones
2 kongs
2 bowls (may not be needed, considering raw)
1 clicker
2 traveling bowls
1 treat pouch
1 bone rope toy
1 collar
1 leash

next on the list:
crate
traveling carrier

What else do I need? Thank you.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Soft squeaky toy; tennis balls; Kong Wubba
Dog poop pick-up bags

My dog always ignored nylabones

·
Registered
627 Posts
I found that an old stuffed animal or a pillow was a great comfort to Freyja on her first couple of nights away from her mom. Having something soft to cuddle up to helped her relax. She still has the stuffed animal, its the only stuffed object that she hasn't destroyed.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, adding squeaky toy, tennis balls, and a stuffed animal to the list.
I can just use plastic zip bags for poop.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Besides the crate, I can't think of anything else. Food, I suppose you have that already. Mine also enjoyed the soft animal to snuggle--the breeder gave me a small towel that the pups had slept on to take home, they do that with every pup. See if they have something like that you can have.

·
Registered
481 Posts
A collar tag with his or her name on it :wub:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Nature's Miracle is good but a cheap alternative that we used is a white vinegar/water mix. It gets the pheromones out just as effectively and you can just use a cheap water bottle. My suggestion for your list is bully sticks!!! Oh and we feed raw but still use the bowl. A lot of people feed on a mat but we just got a BIG bowl and he keeps it in there. Eases my mind :)

·
Banned
5,219 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Most important...a big box of bandaids and a tube
of antiseptic ointment. For the inevitable land shark phase.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Kong squeaky balls.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Bowl of treats placed near the outside door that he or she will be going out to go potty.

Nothing else is needed except never let her/him out of your site.
They will enjoy the toys they find on their own.

Check back after 4 weeks and now your list will change...lol good luck.

PS . you might want some crate info also to help you handle the first 1-3 nights.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I actually prefer the Advanced Nature's Miracle - it smells great. I can't stand the vinegar and water smell (barf).

One tip I just learned (the hard way), close off an area for playtime with the pup but don't make it too large. I gave ours run of the entire kitchen for play time (and I have a huge kitchen that is open concept) and the pup was way too distracted to even WANT to play with toys. After enclosing a much smaller area for playtime, she is MUCH more focused and relaxed now and not the holy terror / land shark she was a few days ago... LOL

·
Registered
53 Posts
patience, coffee (for those long sleepless-puppy nights, or early morning potty time), bitter yuck for when she starts wanting to chew inappropriate things. And I think you also need a congratulations from us on the forum! :D :hugs:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Yes...congratulations on getting a new puppy!! Very exciting! Nothing holds as much hope and adventure as much as a new fluffy pup.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Um, I haven't gotten the puppy yet. I'm just getting ready. Thank you for the congratulations any way. There's a pup that my breeder has that no one has claimed and I'd love to have him, even though he is a male. :( He's dark red and white (siberian husky). But I'm getting off topic. Only two more major things on my list (crate and carrier).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts