German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My new 8 week old gsd puppy Alfie that I got about a week and a half ago still hasn't settled down with our cats, chickens, ducks or guinea fowl. Our cats are normally very welcoming to new animals but they tend to keep their distance from Alfie most of the time by staying out of the house or up on a wall when he's around. They occasionally let him sniff them but the problem is once they run away he chases them and scares them so they end up hiding up in a tree or in the bushes. The same thing with all the birds, he sometimes sits and watches them from a distance but once he gets close they run away and then he chases them.
I love my cats and birds and I want them to feel comfortable when Alfie's around and try stop this behaviour before he gets bigger and may catch them And hurt them.
He's still pretty young and doesn't yet understand 'no' And if tried various ways of making him stop but he still chases them all...

I'd love if someone could suggest some way of stopping this problem before it gets worse!

-Rebecca:)

Registered
Basically you can not allow him to chase the other critters. Keep him on the leash and control him is all you can do right now because he is only a baby.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
So if I keep him on a lead while he's around the other animals he'll grow out of this habit?

Registered
It's a start, training doesn't happen overnight. You have to teach him what is acceptable behavior and of course you don't want him to hurt the other critters. Right now he doesn't know the boundaries.

Super Moderator
I also agree with keeping him on leash around them, and redirect..He is quite young to really "get" that he shouldn't chase the cats and chickens, but with patience and diligence you can hopefully teach him to co exist..

Registered
What a puppy Heaven, if only he could chase them, haha! Wish I were baby Alfie with so many fun critters around to play with, tee he he!

Sorry I haven't raised a puppy in your situation, so can't really give advice, but the leash advice sounds like the most logical option.. Were I in your shoes. No envy here. K.... Just a little puppy envy ;)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Registered
seriously?!

You have a baby.

Pups chase and nip and tussle.

Sounds like a very normal, fun loving GSD puppy to me.

Don't overreact, just do the obvious. Put pup on lead and be more fun than the chickens etc...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts