German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys...i bred a long coat GSD with a Shortcoat. Female is 20 inches in height and male 26 inches ...i want information about their litter that what will be the possibilties in pups? Will male characters will be passed on to pups or female?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
If you want to know if any of the pups may be long coats - they may be IF the female carries the gene for long-coat. Do you know if there are any long-coats in the lines that the female comes from?

ADMIN REMINDER TO BE RESPECTFUL AND POST WITH RESPECT.
I've already deleted one post that added no positive value to the thread.

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
You will only get long coats if the stock coated parent carries the long coat recessive. If not then all of the pups will be stock coats that carry the long coat recessive.

50 % of the genes come from each parent, but you will often see a greater influence from one parent or the other depending on how the genes combine, recessives and dominants, etc. Best to read up on genetics and breeding for a more complete and better understand of what is involved. The female does have a huge part in determining the temperament of the puppies since she is the first thing they imprint on for their first 7-8 weeks of life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts