German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

First, I want to say thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences. It has been invaluable for new puppy owners like me.

Having never raised a puppy I have a question about my 11 week old GSD female. She seems to breath fast and heavy at night. She sleeps beside us in her crate in our second floor bedroom. During the day when she is napping in her family room crate, or on the floor she seems to breath fine. She seems to be healthy--good weight, doesn't seem to be in any pain (no reaction to us touching her anywhere), and a good appetite.

The family room has hardwood floors and is cool. The bedroom has a rug and is generally hotter. Could it be she's too hot? Just curious if anyone has experienced this. She has a vet appointment today where I plan to bring it up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I don't know if she is hot, but my dogs do this exact same thing. I just figured they were in a deeper sleep and that is why they were breathing so heavily. This is also the time when they bark in their sleep, growl, etc. like they are dreaming.

·
2,967 Posts
My puppy does it too. I also associate it with the "dream sleep" time. It made me nervous at first, but I pretty much accept it as normal now.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
And just wait until their legs start pumping when they're running in those field of dreams!

It is great that you are paying attention to (and worrying about) your puppy.

It does not sound like a problem for your puppy at this time.

to the board. Now do you need advice on how to post pictures of your puppy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies everyone. Glad to hear it's a normal thing.

I'm working on getting a picture up.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts