German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so I've read through the links in the biting sticky as well as read up a lot on puppy biting.

Problem is, my puppy isn't biting in play--I got him to quit that within a few days.

He's biting whenever he wants to go outside. Yelping doesn't work for this--he bites more. Any kind of pushing him away/moving away/ignoring him (short of locking him in another room) results in being chased, barked at, bitten worse. Redirection to toys or even treats doesn't work, because it's not what he's asking for.

It's also not as if I can even find an 'earlier' sign to take him out. He bites and drags people towards the door BEFORE whining at the door. (And he goes out often anyway--he's just been wanting to go more often than any other puppy I've ever had.)

And of course, I do have to take him out, which I worry is rewarding the behavior.

It started out 'annoying but at least he's trying to be housebroken' and it's become 'hurting people badly'. I honestly don't know what to do. I've never had a puppy act like this, and it doesn't help that he's a 25+ pound puppy.

I'm not bleeding but my arms have raised lines all up and down them and my hands have lovely not-quite-puncture dents.

Ugh. He's a sweet puppy a lot of the time and I completely want to keep him but I need advice. (Incidentally, he's purebred/registered GSD, and he's ten weeks old.)

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Since your pup is doing that to go outside, I suggest you put a bell on the door and let it hang so he can reach it. Then go up to the door - your pup will follow and ring the bell -open the door and take him outside - he should catch on. Do not open the door if he bites - turn and walk away.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts