German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered a few hundred times on here and I have read quite a few of the threads regarding puppies biting. So, we got Troy at a fairly young 6 weeks (he will be 9 weeks tomorrow). I know puppies mouth but ours seems to like to mouth, bite and nip/growl all the time. He is never alone (except for around 30min in the morning and 30min in the afternoon). He gets alot of attention and play time with myself and my wife and is walked daily (being so little, I only take him for a short 2 block walk). The thing with our Troy, is that he cant seem to play without the biting. I say biting because when he mouths it is usually very soft/gentle while the bites make our hands/arms look like pin cushions. We always tell him no and redirect him with a toy to chew on. We have purchased a variety of chew toys all of different textures. He has rawhide bones (granulated) to chomp on and nothing seems to help. Its almost like he will start with a toy and progress to our body parts lol. Oh and we have tried the yelp/ouch as well and it doesnt seem to phase him in the least. He is such a smart little guy and has already learn some basic commands. If anyone has any insight that I can try please feel free to chime in. **disclaimer---yes we now know that 6 weeks was entirely to young to bring a pup home and that he probably never had the chance/or just bagan to learn bite inhibition from mom/litter mates, but I am past that now and hoping for some solid advice that will help him learn. Thanks in advance-John

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Shasta had me in tears more than once, thinking we had made the most terrible mistake in getting a German Shepherd puppy, I'm sure you're looking for the one foolproof suggestion that will make the biting stop - I know I was - but all I can tell you is time is your friend. Keep on doing what you're doing and eventually, Troy will catch on. For Shasta, it was around 5 months, I think, which was about two months too long, in my opinion, but she's turned out to be a lovely dog with really excellent control over what she does with her mouth. So just hang in there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thank you both for your input and we will continue to work with him. He is a great little guy!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Stella brought me to tears more than once when she was in her landshark phase. My arms and legs were covered with marks and my pants still bear some holes from her! Time really did solve that issue....and lots of redirecting, toys to chew on and stopping the play time when she got really out of control. This too shall pass.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I second what others have said. It will get better only with time; but you must continue to redirect and train. I don't believe there is anything else that can be done. Some have used the bitter spray for that and claim it works. I never have used it. Rocco is now 5 months old and still likes to bite sometimes, but it is nothing compared to how it was when he was 2-3 months. I still have scars from those two months. It was like he would have biting frenzies, all wild and crazy... lol!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Maybe ALONG with redirecting to a toy, you can rub a stick of butter on your hands, then when he licks instead of biting, reward like crazy. Showing him licking is ok on hands/feet/human flesh in general, and saving the biting for toys is correct.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My dog just up until recently, he's 5 1/2 months right now, would flip out into biting hands, arms, legs, anything he could grab. Even on my two cats he was a little rough with the nipping. Finally, he's very careful with his mouth, it doesn't clamp down at all, and he's turned to just mouthing the cats heads ( which they love, I don't know, they are weird) or he pushes them with his nose. I thought it was hopeless but hes sooo much better. I took got my puppy at 6 weeks.( the breeders vet said they were large puppies, and they were fighting so it was better to let them go) And im pretty sure that was my problem he hadn't developed bite inhibition yet. I just redirected with chew toys, and when he would bite I would firmly say "NO". And he would stop, but after a few seconds right back at it. If i fake cried he did get concerned...I really think its all about time and consistency. Your pup will eventually get the idea.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Everytime we fake cry... it sends him even more into a frenzy - during crazy dog mode. He will usually stop when I say "No!" unless he's in one of those "I'M A CRAZY DOG!" modes.

He doesn't usually get to "hard" anymore when biting (except during crazy dog mode), most of the time it's mainly mouthing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Everytime we fake cry... it sends him even more into a frenzy - during crazy dog mode. He will usually stop when I say "No!" unless he's in one of those "I'M A CRAZY DOG!" modes.

He doesn't usually get to "hard" anymore when biting (except during crazy dog mode), most of the time it's mainly mouthing.
Ah, maybe the noise sends him for a loop, does he get crazy with squeaker toys too?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ah, maybe the noise sends him for a loop, does he get crazy with squeaker toys too?
Actually... no. He'll instantly turn his attention to it SOMETIMES if he's not overly focused on something else. When he's in crazy dog mode... he's just running around crazy, nipping at anyone in his path, wanting to play hard (we usually head outside to play chase in the yard).

He doesn't really get "EXCITED" at all. He's definitely not a big tail wager. He's very focused sometimes when I have a toy, but he doesn't get "Oh BOY! Gotta get my toy, I love my toy! I want My TOY!!!!" at all.

He likes his toys, he'll go into his toy box, get a specific one (digs around for it) then takes it to a spot on the floor and plays with it. But he could care less if I walked up and took that toy. He'll watch me, come when I call, run after it when I throw it, but if I just set it up on the table... he's ok with that and will go do something else.

When we're outside, I'll throw his Hippo squeeker ball toy, he'll intensely run after it, play with it some, occasionally bring it back, and do it all over again and again and again, but he's not sitting there waiting for me to throw it with his tail wagging, smile on his face, etc. He just sits there, intently.

My daughter and I try to get him "happy" or "excited" but he'll only jump around a little bit, not fully exerting himself or getting into... He's NOT a serious tail wagger. He will sit, very focused waiting for his treat though.

It's almost like EVERYTHING is serious work, and nothing is just PLAY.

He was in the other room with my son last night, I wanted him with me where I could see him, so I used a high pitched extremely happy "TYDE COME!" and he was there in half a sec, he seemed a little happy for that half a sec, but then it was strictly "FOCUS on mama!".

·
Registered
147 Posts
Haha :laugh:, my dog is very similar to yours. Not a big tail wagger if he does wag it, its like its in slow motion. its hard to get him excited, very rarely does it happen. The only time he does is when he knows he is going outside to play or for a walk. Even then he plays around outside andafter about 20 mintues of free play with him he just likes to sit and watch stuff, or wander around investigating checking things out. Sometimes he will come back to his toys and chase them other times he just holds the toy in his mouth and walks around.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks everyone for the advice and info. I will keep you all updated lol. oh, i tied the bitter apple and he seems to like it haha.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts