German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feeling at a loss right now. Lola is 7 months old and overall a wonderful dog. She did lots of puppy nipping when she was in her early teething phase but we managed that. Recently, things have escalated and I'm really scared.
It ONLY happens on walks, but it's completely random when it happens. All of a sudden on a walk she will turn and start biting my arms, my legs and jumping up on me. I walked home in tears today it got so bad. 3people ran up to me to ask if I needed help. It looks like I am getting mauled. Her bites are starting to become very painful when she does it. She's leaving bruises through my jacket and breaking the skin on my arms.
To correct, I try and pop her collar and say no, I try and keep walking, I try and cross my arms and turn around.
Nothing works.
She just comes back and comes back harder. Now feeling afraid to walk her and unsure of what to do.
She is very well behaved otherwise, but this is really scaring me.
She gets 3 walks per day and lots of training and attention. We play fetch with her in the backyard too so I think she's getting enough exercise. I just have no idea why she wants to bite us. I read that it means she wants to play?
We are expecting in July and I am freaking out that this behavior means she is developing aggression ….
Pls help. I love her so much and don't know what to do and feeling so lost and overwhelmed.

·
Super Moderator
7,511 Posts
Two things come to mind.#1 is your leash correction is not strong enough to get her attention.She will stop acting up immediately when she understands it will not be tolerated.#2 is the majority of time during your walks should be allowing her to do "doggy things", sniffing and exploring. Creeping along at our pace for long periods of time can be frustrating for a young dog.

Reactions: CeraDean

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two things come to mind.#1 is your leash correction is not strong enough to get her attention.She will stop acting up immediately when she understands it will not be tolerated.#2 is the majority of time during your walks should be allowing her to do "doggy things", sniffing and exploring. Creeping along at our pace for long periods of time can be frustrating for a young dog.
Thanks for the reply!
We have a choke collar the trainer recommended but I noticed even when we used it to correct, it made her jump and bite. Maybe we aren't using it correctly?
We have more structure walks... so maybe we need to let her roam around a bit more.
If she has a choke collar on though.. is that safe?

·
Super Moderator
7,511 Posts
Nagging corrections with any type of collar will amp up a dog.I don't know of any videos that demonstrate the technique. Maybe someone else does. A proper correction is a quick firm pop that is not painful, but immediately startles.An equally firm No! at the same time gets the point across. Ask your trainer to demonstrate.
Imagine you are walking along beside someone teasing and poking them and laughing while they get increasingly annoyed.If that person were to grab your shoulder firmly as soon as you started that nonsense and tell you in a "I am not kidding" tone to STOP NOW ! your pesky antics would cease to be fun.You didn't get hurt but it's very clear that behavior will not be tolerated.Then you and the person do something fun for both of you instead.
It takes one second to make things clear to the dog then move on to something pleasant.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
It’s not always nagging. The dog can go up the leash if he perceives the correction to be unfair, or he expects some reward and it’s not delivered (unfairly in the dogs mind). You pop the leash and say no. No what? The dog tries to communicate something. Give her something to do. Tell her sit, down, stay, good girl, let’s go.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Choke collar is not so easy to use, needs a very good timing and skill. Maybe you could try some other collar?

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
What corrections did you use to correct the younger puppy biting. How long did it take her to quit when you were "managing" that phase?

My very sure guess is the pup was not corrected firmly enough then but allowed to grow out of it ..... which they don't imo. Get a good GSD trainer to spend a few walks directly with you. Get video here if you can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts