German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I take Samantha (5 months old) on a bike ride with the walkydog just about every other day. We only go around the block and at a walking pace to be easy on her growing bones. Lately she has been biting my shoes/laces while I'm pedaling. Is this just because she's teething? Any ideas how to eliminate this behavior?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

-Ryan

Registered
I have to laugh! Lakota (5 months) and tries to bite the front tire. I started taking her with my bike last week. I bring the 2 older dogs and let her off leash when we get into the trails. I know she's been teething, I found a baby canine tooth this morning. On leash she's pretty good, except for the occasional lunge at a squirrel. She has learned and understands "no" so that has been helping. I still try to give her treats if she's in the right position just as I did when I walked the trails with her loose.

Registered
This is another one of those myths you hear all the time perpetrated by breeders of crippled dogs. Most dogs do not get anywhere near enough exercise as it is - puppies need it even more - and this is another excuse not to get out and exercise them. So long as you pay attention to them and watch their breathing and whether they are slowing down or not and they don't get sore or lame afterwards, there is no good reason not to go for it.

Registered
They should have exercise, but bringing them with you on a bike ride on leash or a long jog or walk on leash are all bad ideas.

You want the pup to be able to go at his/her own pace.... run full speed, the slow down, then walk, then run, then plop down on the ground..... then get and and go full speed again, then sit.... Its nothing like run, run, run, run, run, run.....

Both are exercise but only one is appropriate

Registered
I try to stay on the trails with the dogs when I take the bike. When I'm on the road I go pretty slow, mostly coasting. I try to keep them jogging/trotting not running, I barely pedal and have to use the brake a lot. At least on the trails I get some exercise too, lots of sand to pedal thru.

Registered
I agree with GSDSUNSHINE....exercise is vital but not repetitive movement....you wouldn't want a developing child to over use certain bones and muscles during crucial times??? I walk Jake A LOT on leash but it's always long walk on trails or grass...we keep pavement short and sweet.

Registered
Just like any exercise, you have to build up to reach higher levels. Lakota started out walking around the block, distance increased, then I started her off leash. She literally ran circles around us. This is nothing compared to when I used to take the dogs out with the horses years ago. What I am doing right now is the same distance as our walk, but now I take my bike mainly because my knee hurts. Since its summer I won't increase the distance. Actually this trail is not even a 1/4 of what Apache & Kiya did as babies with my horse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts