German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got two pure bred brother GSD's & one of them at night jumps on my bed and bites not my neck, but my actual esophagus! He repeatedly does it until I get up. It's not like he had to go to the bathroom or anything.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
this behavior you want to stop. you could get hurt
by an accidental hard biting.

how old are your dogs?

maybe they do need to go out in the
middle of the night or whenever he bites your throat.
i guess your dog is tried of licking your face to
go out because you ignore him so he had to
turn it up a notch, :).

a "throat biter", that's not funny but it is, :laugh:.

for your own safety crate your dog when you're sleeping, :hammer:.

you should learn sign language immediately because you're
going to need it if your dog bites a little to hard, :laugh:, :headbang:.

the funniest, most hilarious post i ever read was about
someone concerned about the amount of hair on their
dogs testicles. i think this post might have that beat, :crazy:.

I just got two pure bred brother GSD's & one of them at night jumps on my bed and bites not my neck, but my actual esophagus! He repeatedly does it until I get up. It's not like he had to go to the bathroom or anything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How old are they? Have you considered crating at night? Are they crate trained?
Lol. Very funny guys. I dont have a crate & i dont want one. My place is there place. I see friends who own dogs and work all the time and just leave them in their crates and it kills me. Well speaking of, that throat thing. I asked friends at work and they told me to spray that "only dog can smell" spray on my throat when i go to bed?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Lol. Very funny guys. I dont have a crate & i dont want one. My place is there place. I see friends who own dogs and work all the time and just leave them in their crates and it kills me. Well speaking of, that throat thing. I asked friends at work and they told me to spray that "only dog can smell" spray on my throat when i go to bed?
Dude... DUDE!! That is potentially very dangerous behavior. The dog is either neglected as you sleep (I'm not accusing you of that, btw) and/or he exhibiting dominance aggression that either way, you MUST start curing now!! If the dog very young, you have plenty of easy opportunity to fix this issue... and spray is a ridiculous solution, simply because it will never work 100% of the time under the best conditions. German shepherds are extremely smart... just one reason why he'll know when someone doesn't have the magic spray on. They are also pontentialy extremely dangerous if they are allowed to exhibit dominance behavior on you or anyone else in your household. Please do yourself and the dog a favor and see a trainer or at least read some books or view some DVD's.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
418 Posts
No one is suggesting you lock them away all day in a crate... what they are suggesting is that a crate ensures that the very baby dog is safe and you arent allowing him to get in a bad situation (like biting you or an electrical cord, etc) when you cant watch them (like when you are asleep). You can phase the crate out over time as they mature. One smart GSD puppy is usually a handfull, two unsupervised is waiting for an accident to happen. They need boundaries and rules, like all babies, to become successful adults. AND for the next two months they will likely become ruthless land sharks whose only job is to sharpen their teeth on you and you belongings. Thats how these dogs explore their world and learn. You need to help them learn by giving them safe environments for them (and you) to rest and take time outs when in puppy enthusiasm they go over the top somedays (most do)... Please go read all the biting threads in the puppy section and consider some temporary changes to your lifestyle while they are babies When they are responsible dogs then it can become "My house is Your House" outlook if you wish.

·
Super Moderator
32,033 Posts
No one is suggesting you lock them away all day in a crate... what they are suggesting is that a crate ensures that the very baby dog is safe and you arent allowing him to get in a bad situation (like biting you or an electrical cord, etc) when you cant watch them (like when you are asleep). You can phase the crate out over time as they mature. One smart GSD puppy is usually a handfull, two unsupervised is waiting for an accident to happen. They need boundaries and rules, like all babies, to become successful adults. AND for the next two months they will likely become ruthless land sharks whose only job is to sharpen their teeth on you and you belongings. Thats how these dogs explore their world and learn. You need to help them learn by giving them safe environments for them (and you) to rest and take time outs when in puppy enthusiasm they go over the top somedays (most do)... Please go read all the biting threads in the puppy section and consider some temporary changes to your lifestyle while they are babies When they are responsible dogs then it can become "My house is Your House" outlook if you wish.
Great post! The OP doesn't say if these are puppies, and if so how young they are, but even if they're older it's a good idea to crate them when you can't supervise, for their own safety. I only crate my dogs at night, while we're sleeping and they're sleeping. Keefer is 4-1/2 so he's totally trustworthy out loose, and we actually stopped closing the crate door at night for awhile (he'd still go in there on his own to sleep most of the time), but then he started barking at squirrels, cats, raccoon, possums, or whatever other nocturnal creatures he could see through the sliding glass door into the yard, so he's closed in again. After being woken up at 3:00 in the morning a few times, that was enough for me! Halo is 1-1/2 and still shreds stuff. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't chew during the night because she sleeps too, but she also likes to bark at critters outside. I can't even imagine both of them running around the house loose during the night, NONE of us would get any sleep because whenever one barks, the other barks.

They enjoy their crates and it's easier and more pleasant for all of us for them to have their own special place. And I can't even imagine having two young puppies at the same time with no crate - what do you do with them when you have to go to the bathroom, take a shower, make dinner, clean house? Puppies need constant supervision or to be confined in a safe place if you can't.

·
Super Moderator
32,033 Posts
Ah, thanks Lin!

Then of course they should be crated at night. Egads, the damage they could do to your home and possessions while you're asleep - and even if you don't care about your "things", they can also seriously harm themselves. Many, many dogs have gotten life threatening intestinal blockages from things they've gotten into and chewed up, requiring expensive surgery. Why take that chance when the solution is so simple?

·
Registered
229 Posts
This could be the all time best title to a thread ever...

I wouldn't be as concerned as everyone else seems to be. It sounds like you are sleeping on your back with your head tilted back. If so, your adam's apple is probably sticking up and the puppy is probably just going after what is sticking out.

Cash (13 weeks) will do the exact same thing to me when I fall asleep on the couch and he wakes me up...except instead of the esophagus, he bites my nose because it sticks off my head. He never bites my cheek, my mouth, my ears...it's always my nose. It's not hard biting but enough to annoy or pinch.

Maybe spray apple bitter on your throat before you go to bed.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
a crate can your and your dogs best friend. i didn't like
leaving my dog in a crate all day long so i got
someone to come in every 4 hours and let my dog out. they
the person that came in would let my dog out and give him snacks.

my dog is 3 yrs. old now with full run of the house. i still
have someone come in every 4 hours to let him out, feed
him and keep him company.

when my dog was being crated many times he
would go to his crate on his own. at night he would
go to our bedroom and lay down. many times during the night
he would go to his crate. sometimes when we gave him a treat
he would take it to his crate to eat it.

so, what do you do with your dogs when you're not home?
you have puppies. besides having them rip your throat
out at night what do you do with them? puppies having
free run of the house is dangerous for them especially
when you're sleeping.

get a crate, go to puppy classes, find a trainer.
socialize and train your dogs everyday.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
My nine week olds cannot jump up on my bed on their own. My nine month old can. If my nine week old bit a toe or a nose or a throat, I would not be too concerned. If my nine month old did, that would be not good at all.

You do not mind the dog in your bed, but he only goes for your throat when you are asleep. I would probably train him to stay off the bed. Crating for the night is really safe for your pup and you, and not mean or abusive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My doggies LOVE their crate. It's the one place they can go to have a little piece & quiet or sleep if they want. We do not crate all day, just at night. When it's bed time she grabs her stuffed animal and heads straight for her crate. Dogs are naturally den creatures. They love the safety & den like qualities of a crate. I know, if I let them have free run of the room or the house, I would have huge messes everyday & dogs hogging my bed. That's just what works for us.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
My puppy(ies) tend to roam around the house at night looking for fun. That's why I use a crate at night. And Balto got in the habit of waking me up so he can look for critters in the yard at 2 am. :mad:

It probably is the snoring. LOL!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts