German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a GSD puppy who is now 10 weeks old. Prior to bringing him home I purchased several Michael Ellis dvd's and am currently training him several times daily. As with most GSD he is picking up everything very quickly. He shows a lot of food drive when I use high value treats.

That brings me to my question. He bites my hands (or pieces of skin on my hand) very hard when I use the high value treats. I try told hold the treats as instructed in the video which helps slightly but still he will bite/snap down on anything that gets in his way.

Any advice on how to salvage my hands but not decrease his drive?

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
keep your hand closed and encourage a gentle take when you reward. Say "Aak" or similar to correct a nipping type behavior, and don't reward until pup is gently taking it.

I don't think you'll decrease his drive by training him to take treats gently.

·
Registered
108 Posts
We taught our dog "easy" when taking treats from us. Already started to work on this with the new puppy and at 8 weeks she is already getting it. With consistency, you can get your dog to take the treat with just the front teeth very gently. Teach it just like any other command, repeat the word, praise for taking the treat "easy", etc.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hold the treat so the dog can't actually get it and then offer it to them.
If they are aggressive at all, bump them on the nose a little with the back of your treat hand.
NOT to hurt but rather to startle them, say "easy" at the same time.
Then offer with a little more of the treat showing and say "easy".
They will gently take the treat and now you praise them with "good girl, easy".
They get the idea quick and I have actually had this work in one try on both adult and puppy dogs.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I taught my pup "kisses" instead of biting. I hold a treat in my closed hand and hold it out to her. At first she would bite at my hand and I'd draw it away and say "eh eh." Then try again. Eventually they will LICK... and as soon as the tongue hits your hand click & treat. Very quickly they learn the way to get your hand open is to lick it, not bite it. Now she kisses my hand on command. I am hoping to use this to help her tone it down when she is being "bitey" during play, but we are still working on that (she is 10 weeks old).

·
Registered
16,008 Posts
Time will take care of it but generally if you train with HV treats and want to maintain drive, you loose skin. At least until they are substantially older. I'd say go for a slightly less valuable treat and reward very quickly once you start to reward.
You might want to look up your local Schutzhund club and talk to someone there about maintaining drive in pups and saving your fingers simultaneously.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts