German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for ideas/tips on how to stop my pup from biting when we hold him. He has improved at bite inhibition And he doesn’t bite our hands or feet normally. EXCEPT when we pick him up to go potty or if he’s cuddling with us on the floor or couch etc. he gets really excited and starts biting. it’s really just excited puppy biting but I’m not sure how to teach him to show love without the biting

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
As your post mentioned, your puppy is biting because he is excited. I would suggest to redirect by giving him a toy or tug toy to mouth when you pick him up.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
You don't "teach" a dog or puppy to show love, you are blessed with what they feel is appropriate affection! Most puppies I've been around DON'T at all like to be held or cuddled, so if you're trying to teach them to like something they don't, good luck with that LOL! Just wait, let him or her grow up a little, and they'll be much more receptive!

·
Super Moderator
4,680 Posts
My big -boy, as a youngster, thought every touch was an invitation to rough house. He learned quickly to be quiet for putting on the leash and collar but cuddling was out of the question. Now at 4 1/2 years old he loves getting his chest scratched and his evening brushing. He still doesn't cuddle but he also knows that not everything is a wrestling match. That and a scratch behind the ears is a lovely thing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If your pup bite just say “ouch” loudly and pull away. Keep doing that repeatly even if the bite doesn’t hurt Pretty sure it won’t take long for him to figure out that his biting hurts you. But always welcome the cuddles and encourage that behavior. ?

·
Super Moderator
6,124 Posts
If your pup bite just say “ouch” loudly and pull away. Keep doing that repeatly even if the bite doesn’t hurt Pretty sure it won’t take long for him to figure out that his biting hurts you. But always welcome the cuddles and encourage that behavior. ?
Some puppies get even more excited when you yell "ouch!"I'm remembering a puppy we owned long ago that we couldn't pet or cuddle comfortably until she was about 10 months old.It simply overstimulated her.It made brushing her or nail cutting quite an adventure,lol!It was clip clip,give her a stuffy to mouth.Repeat.Then one day it just stopped forever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts