German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

I finally have decided to bring home GSD next week. i already have chosen puppy from litter. yes, i am first time owner, and i always loved GSD. One thing i am really concerned about is HUMPING behaviour. We live in joint family which include my parents, brother, and sister in law. i dont want my dog to start humping anything in front of my family or friends. What can i do from begining to prevent this for my dog?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
hi guys,

I finally have decided to bring home GSD next week. i already have chosen puppy from litter. yes, i am first time owner, and i always loved GSD. One thing i am really concerned about is HUMPING behaviour. We live in joint family which include my parents, brother, and sister in law. i dont want my dog to start humping anything in front of my family or friends. What can i do from begining to prevent this for my dog?
If he does it, correct him. Say "no" and pull him off whatever it it he's humping. And get him into a puppy class as soon as you can; every first time owner should take a puppy class.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey didn't you buy a puppy in April and adopt a dog from a foster home in June? What happened to them?
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/172805-sick-dog.html

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/161561-poop-training-help.html#post2175284

Here are just a few threads by him, so it looks like yes.

Maybe you should not get a GSD if you have already re-homed two..... GSD require a lot of work--- really all dogs do. BUT there are some breeds that require less. I don't think a GSD is right for you..

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Instead of bringing a new pup home, specially around the holidays and Xmas, maybe you can work at a shelter or vets office and gain more experience. Even at a dog training club.

That way you'll be in a better situation when you do get a new puppy/dog and truly be able to give it a forever home. Puppies are a HUGE amount of work and the issue of them humping us (or not) isn't even a blip on my radar of dog issues....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts