German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, whenever I tell my puppy to sit,down,shake while I am holding his food or a toy, he will bark and whine while doing the command. Is this normal in puppies and will it go away when he’s older?

·
Super Moderator
9,476 Posts
he’s frustrated... if anything it’ll get worse (louder, more demanding). holding the food or toy in front of him is nothing more than a bribe. for more reliable training... give and enforce the command with the reward nearby but out of his sight. you may have to go back to square one, teaching, for a bit.

edit: Post #8, similar issue...

·
Registered
233 Posts
he’s frustrated... if anything it’ll get worse (louder, more demanding). holding the food or toy in front of him is nothing more than a bribe. for more reliable training... give and enforce the command with the reward nearby but out of his sight. you may have to go back to square one, teaching, for a bit.

edit: Post #8, similar issue...
Yes remove the reward from sight it definitely helped with Zac (as in the video) and slowly introduce the commands with just praise rewards when successful. It's amazing what simple changes can make when we're all learning (y)

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Just a mini challenge (frustration) bark. The reward comes after compliance, not held out first

1 - 5 of 5 Posts