German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking care of my parent's older shepherds, and one of them has a bad habit of barking, a lot, at whatever she can. Her barking sets off the male, usually, but he's not as pronounced. She is hard of hearing and a bit set in her ways, so getting her to stop is difficult.

When I brought my puppy home he, of course, if taking in the fun at barking at the neighbor dogs whenever the older ones do.

Since the female is usually the instigator of the barking, I decided to get her an electric shock collar to curb the barking, much as I hated to do so. It's not working as thoroughly as I had hoped, but I think it is helping.

My parents are going to take the older shepherds back in early june, but I expect that the barking will remain. What is the best way to train a puppy to not bark?

I have heard that one good way is to train him to bark on command, and then teach him a quiet command. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to get him to bark at all, unless he's barking through the fence, and at that point I cannot get his attention.

I can always get another collar for him as well (maybe a scented one).

Any suggestions on how to get a puppy to stop barking?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Once the adult dogs go back to your parents, you can work with your puppy. I found it helped to go outside during the busy times with the puppy. Play with the puppy - walk him - he will be to busy to bark. Then let him go on his own for a bit - but I would stay outside - if he barks stand in front of him -your back to him - that shows that you are in charge of whatever he is barking at. Take him for short frequent walks around the neighborhood so he can get to know the area and that will also tire him out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts