German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 11 week old puppy. I found over the last two days hes been barking at everyone...If he goes outside to pee and hears a neighbour down the street he freaks out and barks....This is new behaviour. I’m worried its getting worse.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
So, your puppy found his bark did he LOL! They all do, at some point. Now you just have to teach him what is, and what is not, good etiquette for barking in your view. They don't come pre-programmed unfortunately. How you handle this going forward sort of depends on what your plans for the dog are. Do you want a watchdog, are you planning on participating in dog sports of some kind? What would you like his behavior to be when he's 3 yrs old? All of that plays into how you temper, or not, his barking now. So, decide on those things BEFORE you work on shaping his behavior now. If you're not sure, or not sure how to train him to be what you're ultimately wanting to see from him, get a good trainer to help show you. I've talked with several people who have had puppies literally ruined by misguided early training (though I seldom believe a dog is ever ruined....GSDs are so resilient and trainable), but what you do in response to his barking can either help or hinder in his training. So, think long and hard about what you want at 3 yrs...and train him accordingly (with help if needed!).

I'll tell you what I do, for what it's worth. I foster a dialog with my pup. She knows me, and responds well when I say softly "no" or "enough". It's not a correction it's a steering kind of thing. If it's a serious thing I say NO much more forcefully. So there's a distinct difference...what she's doing is not bad, just enough is enough LOL! But I also find times when barking is appropriate and get her barking and praise her wildly for that, so she learns the difference...and follows my ques.

·
Super Moderator
4,821 Posts
Everything is tested with a bark. Stay calm, it is not the end of the world. Let your pup move up and explore new things. Be calm when it tests new things with a sniff and a bark and a bounce. Teach your pup behavior that you do want. Like Tim mentioned, teach your pup a phrase that means "you don't have to alert to that anymore". I've tried "thank you, I've got it". Just remember that barking can be self rewarding so once you give your pup the phrase or word to be quiet, lure him away to a different game. At this age attention spans are short and playing with you will be much more rewarding than barking at something "way over there".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts