German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I turned my back on my 10 week old male for 2 seconds and he had a mushroom in his mouth. I managed to get it all out of his mouth but I think he swallowed a piece that was about the size of a penny. Im not 100% sure if he swallowed it or not. Here are photos of the mushroom. I am located in pa if that helps with species identification. Should I be worried?

https://imgur.com/a/q7i6KDe

https://imgur.com/a/Z8HbkUM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,843 Posts
A lot of harmless ones have toxic look alikes too. I hope by this time you took the remaining mushroom and pup to the vet to be on safe side
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just called a local vet and they told me to call the aspca animal poison control center so I am calling them right now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The animal poison control told me it looks like it could be toxic and most likely it will just cause upset stomach but there are a few that look similar that can cause cardiovascular or liver damage so just to be safe they told me to give him 2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide to force him to throw it up so that is what im going to do
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let us know how it goes! I am surprised your vet didn't tell you to bring him in right away :(

he only threw up a little bit. the animal poison control told me since he didn't throw up any mushroom we should take him to a vet to be looked at. I called a few vets and they all recommended emergency vets bc they can do more so we are taking him there now just to be safe

I feel so disappointed in myself for taking my eyes off him! but he seems perfectly normal hes playing and running and being happy but the animal poison control told me symptoms could be delayed especially the liver/cardio damage so that's why Im deciding to take him to the vet along with a sample of the mushroom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,843 Posts
Hope he is ok! Was the mushroom on your property? Do a check of the area later once all is settled. They get into things in an instant! If it was not your yard, most would advise he not go out and about yet until after his next rounds of vaccinations. Parvo is rampant this year. Warm winter and all that. Good luck, hope he is ok!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,265 Posts
he only threw up a little bit. the animal poison control told me since he didn't throw up any mushroom we should take him to a vet to be looked at. I called a few vets and they all recommended emergency vets bc they can do more so we are taking him there now just to be safe

I feel so disappointed in myself for taking my eyes off him! but he seems perfectly normal hes playing and running and being happy but the animal poison control told me symptoms could be delayed especially the liver/cardio damage so that's why Im deciding to take him to the vet along with a sample of the mushroom
Don’t beat yourself up. Sounds like he’s doing ok and getting him checked out will give you some peace of mind. Try to keep calm and use the vet visit to work on exposure to the e-vet office. Hope he continues to do well and keep us updated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK so update

The vet said they don't think the mushroom was toxic. They said they COULD keep him overnight and do bloodwork etc but if after 2 hours hes not showing any symptoms then he is probably going to be fine so we opted not to do that. They also said since it was only one small piece of mushroom that a low dose shouldn't be too dangerous. Also that the mushroom we did take in wasn't know to be one of the KNOWN super toxic ones. They couldnt identify the mushroom exactly or say if it was toxic or not but they could say that it wasn't the one that is KNOWN to kill dogs. They gave him fluids to help flush his system and said to give him lots of water to continue doing that and monitor him.

Something that I found strange is that the vets wouldn't have a detailed knowledge of local mushrooms toxic to dogs. I brought the mushroom with me and they still couldn't identify exactly what it was. I don't expect them to be mushroom experts but you would think this would be in their education or something they would study on their own time. I hope in the future it becomes that way


Anyways the pup is acting totally normal. Im definitely going to start getting my lawn treated for weeds and fungi because I never want to go through this scare again! and I will keep extra EXTRA close watch on him from now on when hes outside and id advise you guys to as well!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could I ask you guys do you think my puppy is underweight? When they weighed him he was 9lbs. He’s 10 weeks old that seems light.

When we got him last week he did feel kindve boney when you petted him so maybe he is just skinny and I need to fatten him up a bit? He goes for his first vet check up on Thursday so I’ll be sure to ask the vet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
9lbs does seem small, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he's underweight. If he feels especially bony, he's likely underweight. Can you see his ribs easily? Can you see/feel his hips and spine?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can’t “see” his ribs or bones because he’s a longcoat so he has tons of fur so I wouldn’t be able too

But when we got him you could feel his spine, ribs, and hips. I’ve been feeding him Orijen adult 3 times a day as much as he wants in 15 mins and it seems to be putting weight on him he doesn’t feel as boney as when we got him last week
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,995 Posts
Mushroom ID involves not just the cap and stem but the base in the soil, what the mushroom is growing on and the spores that it "sheds" overnight. It's a little much to expect vet staff to ID mushrooms beyond a doubt.



The OP (and any one else alarmed about mushrooms) may wish to check with the local micological (sp) society (folks into mushrooms) They, more than vets and more than the internet, can tell you what is growing in your area under what conditions (in proximity to what trees, open field, lawn, etc.; spring, summer, fall)


There are a wide variety of mushrooms that will not kill humans but make humans quite sick; others that will just make you loopy, and others that aren't tasty but are safe and ones that are both safe and tasty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Could I ask you guys do you think my puppy is underweight? When they weighed him he was 9lbs. He’s 10 weeks old that seems light.

When we got him last week he did feel kindve boney when you petted him so maybe he is just skinny and I need to fatten him up a bit? He goes for his first vet check up on Thursday so I’ll be sure to ask the vet
Hello, I'm not an expert and am new to GSDs but 9 pounds at 10 weeks does seem small. When I got my Ava, she was 10 weeks and weighed about 17 pounds. Your pup may have worms, as many pups do, so please be sure to ask your vet about the pups weight and possible worms.
Good luck!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top