German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to get my Wisdom teeth out soon, and I am in the process of getting a puppy, I am thinking about doing both in the same week,

my reasons: so I can take the week off work and spend that time with the puppy, if I get my teeth out now then I will have to take time off and I wont be able to take more off when I get my puppy.
also, I know its going to suck and I will be stuck at home and the puppy will keep my spirits up!

Is this a bad idea? are there any downsides that I am overlooking here?

Thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
The only down side is if you don't feel good, the puppy will pick up on that. What if you have a bad reaction to the surgery will there be someone to help out? I took 2 weeks off to be with my puppy, so we could bond. I think taking time off is good.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I think it all depends on how the surgery goes. I had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled and I was never in any pain. I was eating steak for dinner when I had the surgery in the morning. No pain or soreness at all. My mouth felt a little weird because I had four new holes in my jaw, but other than that, it was just another day for me.

I know someone else who had her wisdom teeth and she was acting like it was the end of the world. She was in severe pain for weeks. Something about dry sockets from what I remember. I couldn't imagine her doing anything let alone caring for a brand new puppy.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I had no complications from the surgery and was eating normal food within two days and really didn't need the pain meds (Tyenol 3) after the first day.

But everyone is different, I would wait until the day after surgery at least so you have a little time to recover before adding a hyper puppy. Talk to the breeder and I'm sure they'll understand if you need to slightly postpone the pickup if you're not feeling well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm, well I think I should mention that I have had the procedure done once already, the first time it wasn't horrible, they gave me pain meds and antibiotics I didnt take them, just ibuprofen. I know there is a chance that it will be different this time around, I guess I should ask my dentist about that.

as for the puppy picking up on how I'm feeling, how do you think that would that cause him to act? do you think it could be something that would effect how he sees me permanently?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I just worried that he might think that's the norm for you, but it sounds like it is no big deal for you. I have never had the surgery, but know of people in their bed for like a week. I probably wouldn't worry about it given what you have said.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts