German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Although the picture looks cute I think you are taking a risk. During the short time you were taking this picture something scary could have happened. If it was a child "proof" older dog it might be safer but this is a young and thus still unpredictable pup...... Babies are no match for a pup. I just want to say, "be careful and never leave the tow alone together".

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Cute picture, but I echo wolfy dog's comments. Even my 5 year old dog who is "child proof" is never left alone with any kid under 12 and he definetely doesn't get any "face time" with babies.

I'm glad they are getting along, though! The baby will remember him for the rest of his life! I love pictures of dogs and kids together.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I also agree that it is cute but caution needs to be taken... I have a 5 month old puppy and although she is good with my 10 month old nephew most of the time she can get into a hyper state and try to jump on him and bite as well which is correct but she is also never allowed near him unless she is on a leash and I am right on the floor with them, because you just never know if one of those sharp teeth will come in contact with the baby/child.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
There is nothing to really get along with. They aren't "getting along." a puppy may be curious and tolerate a baby, but a baby doesn't care about anything other than mom/dad at this point.

Also, you said it was possibleto raise them together, and yea, it is. But you have a very young pup and baby, they aren't raised yet. This isn't past tense.

I've been there, and it is possible. But my son is now 2 1/2 and loves the dogs but harasses the heck out of them. I am constantly having to separate the dogs for their own sake because he just won't leave them alone. When he was a newborn it was much easier. Brace yourself for what's to come. Once that baby isn't sleeping all the time like newborns do, and baby is mobile, you will remember this post. It's easy to tell yourself that nah, you'll teach kiddo how to be nice. Trust me, my son is nice to the dogs. But toddlers have no impulse control.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
toddlers have no impulse control.
Sent from Petguide.com Free App
True, that's why you have to teach them vs separating them from the dogs. A 2.5 year old is very well capable to learn the consequences of harassing the dogs. They learn that it gets them attention, just like dogs do.
I have raised babies and dogs and I had no tolerance for this, impulse control or not, no matter if it concerned the dogs or the kids. Time out (high chair) is a wonderful tool for this.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Congratulations! Your newborn is beautiful!! Pup is super cute, as well :)

I like your happy rant, and I'm sure you are being super vigilant...even though my son is 19 now, I remember those first few weeks like they were just yesterday, and nothing, and I mean nothing, escaped my watchful eye.

Pups are unpredictable, though, and can be lighting fast, so you're getting some really good advice here ;)

Enjoy those babies! Before you know it, you'll be like me, and counting down the years to becoming a grandma, hehe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts