German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I am still reading this forum and lot of books as much as my schedule permits and searching our pup same time too.
My son is 2,5 y.o. and he is handful

Do you think it is a good time go get the pup? I know all the work will be on me, I don't mind that. My concerns are; food aggression, dominant behavior and etc.
Could you please share your experience/s and advice/s?
Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Speak with a reputable breeder and they can match you up with a more laid back pup. My pup is 13 weeks old and comes to work with me daily. He meets tons of kids (toddlers on up) and has NEVER had any issues with them. He has never offered to snap at, or even growl at, anybody and will let kids hang all over him. He is also not in the least bit food aggressive with people or other dogs (the other pups there love to share his food as they think it is the best thing ever so three heads in his dish at one time is fairly common). Training is key with any breed and with the proper training and socialization I think a GSD could work well in your situation.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I don't have kids, but I do have a new puppy(and 3 other dogs as well )..I have alot of time to devote to my animals,,

I can honestly say,,I don't think I could do it with a 2.5 yr old child as well,,I haven't had a puppy in 9 years and its just LIKE having a 2.5 yr old!!! (only worse at times I imagine! LOL)...She keeps me VERY busy, can't let her out of sight, and is pretty high energy.

But I do agree it can be done, as Dakota points out, training is key, finding a good breeder is of the upmost importance, one that can place a puppy within your lifestyle/expectations..

Good luck!
diane

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
I think it would depend how well your son listens and follows directions. If he's anything like my older boy, you might want to wait another year until he's closer to going to pre-K. Also depends how much time you have to devote to training a working line pup. They ARE more work but the payoff is greater.

I have an 11 week old DDR pup, a 7 y/o female GSD, a 5 year old son and 3 1/2 old b/g twins. I am a work at home Mom and getting everyone on a schedule was tough. I don't think I could do it if my kids weren't very independent and didn't entertain each other most of the time.

Our puppy, Otto, is very focused on work but when he isn't given a task, he's bitey. Otto grabs my oldest son's shorts/pants all the time and I've had to scruff shake him - which he is getting but he's still temped by the crazy little boy noises. My older dog does discipline Otto for biting the kids.

When my boy Luther died 3 summers ago, I had the puppy fever in the worst way but knew I couldn't handle the kids and the puppy, so I waited. I suggest you think about how much time you'll have for the new pup.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have 4 yr old, 6 yr old and 8 yr old sons.

Got Reich as a pup, and I have fosters in and out at varying points.

It's definitely do-able.

You have to be willing to not only teach the pup how to interact with the child..but teach the child how to and how NOT to interact with the pup.

Set up boundaries and ground rules at the start, and STICK to them.

·
Registered
284 Posts
In my opinion, I think that all kids should be brought up with a dog. That said, they also need to be taught right away how to treat/respect the dog. I personally think there is no better experience. When my kids were born we already had an adult GSD who was super laid back. After she passed away, we got another GSD puppy. My sons were probably around 6 and 7 at that time. They actually were a big help with the puppy. My kids are now grown (31 and 32, soon to be 32 and 33) and they both still love (and have) GSDs.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
good breeder, good training, good dog. having a 2.5 yr old son and a puppy is one giant Kodac moment. i had a Shep when my children were 2 and 4 yrs. old and there was never a problem. we also had cats, parrot, chickens, guiena pigs, rat and a turtle and everything was fine. i've never worried about dominance. through training which i think creates bonding my dogs always seemed to know their place. i actually don't see what a dog has to be dominant about. we do everything for them. i've never had a dog that was dominant. i've never had a problem with food aggression with any of my animals and they ate out of each others bowls. none with the Shep i always played in his food and water bowl from day one. i stand over him while he eats, i straddle him, pet him, play with his tail, put my hands in the bowl, take the bowl away, rub his mouth. i did all of this alot when he was a puppy and i continued to do all of this when he was grown. i didn't do it as much as when he was a pup but i still did some. i think the playing with the food and handling the pup while they eat helps with the food aggression. so, find a good breeder, puppy classes and socialize, socialize and more socializing. good luck with the new pup.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
how cool is that, you take your puppy to work. i would love to be able to do that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts