German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 6 month old gsd male, this is my first time owning one and would like a little help on how to correct a behavioral issue. Kratos, my dog, has always been in a loving home but everytime we go out he barks and growls at everyone including children, now we have children and other dogs at home and he shows no signs of these aggressions towards any of them or us. Help please

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Your Kratos is fine at home because the other dogs and children are part of his pack. Outside with strangers he is protective and defensive. That is my impression from what you posted. If you have classes in your area, that would be a good way to get Kratos used to other dogs and also to learn obedience. You can also train him yourself. A good start to is to take Kratos for a walk. Start with going by a playground, park, where there children and dogs. When Kratos acts up - turn suddenly so he follows you- reward him for following. Have him sit/stay -again reward. The idea is to have Kratos focus on you and also to learn that you are in charge and the other children and dogs are not his worry.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your feedback, he does that very well with my fiance (his daddy), but with me its almost impossible. As soon as someone walks up to me he gets in front of me. I guess he sees me as needing to be protected?? I will try what you said and thanks again for your help

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Yes, you are right he does see you as needing to be protected that is because he has taken over the leadership with you - so he is protecting what is his. With your fiance he doesn't do it because he respects your fiance as the leader. You can be the leader too. Next time he steps in front of you, bump right into him - with your knee on his side - have him sit. If he ignores you, put your fingers on either side of his tail on the top press gently - those are pressure points - it won't hurt him, but he will sit. That is the beginning, you have established leadership.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts