German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
GSD07
Most breeders will not give your deposit back in some cases with a good breeder they will let you get a puppy from another litter. But you should know up front if the deposit is refundable.

The only way around that is to put that in the puppy contract. Most puppy contracts are totally biased toward the breeder though.
But puppy contracts are a whole different can of worms.

The key is to set the ground rules in writing aka puppy contarct before you give a deposit.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: larrydee33GSD07
Most breeders will not give your deposit back in some cases with a good breeder they will let you get a puppy from another litter. But you should know up front if the deposit is refundable.
I know a lot of breeders who will refund deposits if there is no suitable match in the litter. Transferring the deposit to a future litter isn't always reasonable, especially with breeders who breed infrequently. If we don't have a pup that meets the buyer's specifications and we are certain would be a good match, we offer them a choice between refund or transfer to another litter, but I encourage people to go for the refund just because we don't have that many litters and I don't think it fair to expect someone to wait a year or more.

The "non-refundable" would apply to people who change their mind for whatever reason, reserved a pup and decided not to get a pup, got one from another breeder, etc.. often leaving a breeder in the lurch thinking they have the pup sold, and then all of a sudden finding out that it's not.

But in cases where the litter doesn't produce a suitable match for the person, refunding the deposit is the right thing to do... and something a lot of breeders do do.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I wish there were more breeders like Chris around it would make life so much more simpler.

I can't tell you on how many breeders web sites I have seen in big bold letters DEPOSIT NONREFUNDABLE!!!

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: larrydee33I wish there were more breeders like Chris around it would make life so much more simpler.

I can't tell you on how many breeders web sites I have seen in big bold letters DEPOSIT NONREFUNDABLE!!!
Our website says the same thing. I don't think a lot of breeders mean absolutely non-refundable under any circumstance. Sure, some probably do. But mainly it's to prevent tirekickers and window shoppers. I've known people to try to reserve pups from multiple breeders, figuring they'd wait until the time came and then make their final decision on which breeder/pup to go with. Which can really screw over the other breeders.

If you put in a deposit, you're committing to a pup from this litter. Provided of course the litter has a suitable pup.

When in doubt, ask the breeder. And if the breeder says they will refund the deposit under X circumstances, get it in writing.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Originally Posted By: WolfstraumI agree that the OP should get a happy outgoing puppy.

But we must be careful with generalizing too much or being less specific because reserved is NOT timid...timid is timid. Reserved is not a negative, a timid pup will back away or shrink away from contact, a reserved pup ignores contact but is not fearful. There is a distinct difference IMO and it needs to be clear to a novice that alot of people will pass off timidity/fear as "reserved" or "aloof".

Lee
And the rising of the pup up to the point they are ready for new homes has ALOT to do with how they behave.

Wednesday I took the last female of a litter who did not want to be bothered. She would not come up to you, she'd run the other way!
I brought her home anyway. She was very 'reserved'. She'd pick a wall or the couch, plaster herself against it, laydown...and not move. No shaking, whining, or nipping if you approached...she just did not want to be bothered with people.

She was out in a kennel with her parents, minimal contact with people and normal people things....like houses LOL

Today, she's bounding around with my mutts, is starting to come when called, and is making herself my shin-velcro.
She is not nervy, is not fearful....just had no experience. I believe i said 'afraid' in another post, but it was more along the lines of everything being foreign to her.
She's got spunk, she's got confidence...she just needs someone who knows what to do to get her on her way.

The reserved or timid pups can be that way for a handful of different reasons.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts