German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if all works out well, I should have a Black Working Shepherd by Febuary. I've been told the guy I'm looking into is headstrong "thinks he's god" and has a lot of potential if honed right. I've been training dogs for a long time, and want to get in Schutzhund. The only thing is, I haven't had a puppy since my last German Shepherd and that was more then 10 years ago! I have no idea how I did it then lol :p

Is it normal to be this nervous?!

I need all the advice I can get. Any tips, tricks, pointers, food suggestions, housebreaking, how much exercise... ect ect ect.

I also work from Home, and so really... my dogs are hardly alone unless it's to go to the store or someplace they're not welcome.

And I'll try to post photos as soon as I can get some of the little booger sitting still.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I was nervous even though I did a lot of research before I picked out my pup. I think it's normal because no matter how much you prepare every puppy is different. How old is the dog?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Congratulations on the new pup! A few tips- get a crate, pop him in and out of it without any fanfare, keep it next to your bed for the first 3-4 wks, teach NILF. Go to puppy class, make some beef crunchies for treats [recipe on the food forum], get the best quality food you can afford. Make sure he doesn't do any jumping, like in and out of cars or anything that can cause pressure or injury to his hips. Get plenty of sleep NOW. I work from home too and you might as well catch up as best you can before Feb because it's going to be hard to keep your hands off of him, so the crate will be a lifesaver- and job saver. What's his name?

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
At this point, since you don't have your dog yet, you should just read through the forum to find threads on the topics you have mentioned. Then when you have your dog, and you have more specific questions, then you can ask them and get better answers.

Good luck! I think it's very normal to be nervous. :)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
At this point, since you don't have your dog yet, you should just read through the forum to find threads on the topics you have mentioned. Then when you have your dog, and you have more specific questions, then you can ask them and get better answers.

Good luck! I think it's very normal to be nervous. :)
Agreed. Use the Forums section next to active topics....you can also use the Search tool also.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
my favorite advice is that while you are training teach your pup a code word. Everytime they go to the bathroom use a word (our's is "Hurry Up!" in a positive tone along with a good boy! or a good girl!) and eventually they learn the code word. Then when you are out in the "elements" you always use that code word and they know you want them to go the bathroom. Granted we walk our dogs rain or shine, but in those really wicket weather conditions, it works like a charm, especially given the minimum effort!!!!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts