German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I’ve got an 11 week old and she’s constantly with her water bowl. When she’s asleep she’ll sleep near the water bowl almost hugging it. When she relaxes she’s near the water bowl and even when she’s in her crate she’s near the bowl. Is this normal ? It is hot so I was putting it down to that but from what I’ve read it seems like she’s protecting it ? But I don’t get that vibe from her as we have another dog who drinks from it even when she does that. So can anyone give any suggestions ?

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Here it's been unseasonably hot for the last 3 weeks so perhaps it's just comforting to be near her water source. If she's not guarding it, I wouldn't be concerned in the least

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here it's been unseasonably hot for the last 3 weeks so perhaps it's just comforting to be near her water source. If she's not guarding it, I wouldn't be concerned in the least
Thank you , it’s reassuring I just didn’t want to end up telling her off or try to make her stop if she’s not actually doing anything wrong

·
Registered
851 Posts
As a puppy, maybe she never had her own personal water dish before and, to her, it's a big deal. I know I have 2 dogs and it's a race to see who can get to the fresh water faster.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a puppy, maybe she never had her own personal water dish before and, to her, it's a big deal. I know I have 2 dogs and it's a race to see who can get to the fresh water faster.
I dunno I thought it was weird that she wants possession over it but let’s my other dog drink from it

·
Registered
28 Posts
In my experience of having 3 shepherds, shepherds have a tendency to obsess over things. Maybe for whatever reason she just is fixed on that water bowl and this is just a part of her GSD personality. I would just make sure that obsession does not become a resource guarding issue by taking the bowl away from her on occasion for a minute or two then giving it back and praising her or treat her and pet her when she is near the bowl AND encourage your other dog to continue to approach her when she is near it and drink from it while she is there too. Does she enjoy playing in water? One of my shepherds LOVED to have the water from the garden hose sprayed on him…maybe she just enjoys water??? Buy her a plastic kiddie pool for the outside for summer?

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
I would not want to create a habit of her hovering over anything. I have a designated spot for the water bowls on a stand they are two big water bowls that are always filled. The food bowls are put down and emptied in ten minutes then picked up and put alway. Baby pool is a great way for a pup to cool off in all this heat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts