German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
beware of 'a tired puppy is a happy puppy' my girl doesn't know when to cut it quits and her 'tired puppy' becomes a very grumpy puppy :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
After bagging up over 300lbs of food... I wanted to add these to the thread for those planning on feeding raw :)
Lauri mentioned them in another thread... it's 2000 four gallon trash bags for $22. They are thin, but I only had one break due to a sharp bone. I double them up and they are more than adequate if you're bagging bulk food.

Commercial Coreless Roll Can Liners - 4 gal - 2000 ct. - Sam's Club

·
Registered
381 Posts
Nail cutting for pups:

My daughter and I went to view the pups and one thing that surprised me, was how sharp their nails were. So I did a little searching here and found that it's best to trim a pups nails right after they passed out for the night. Depending on how tired he is, you may get 1,2 or all 4 paws done. And a few people recommended using a regular pair (for people) of nail cutters until the nails are too big for them.

I ordered the cordless dremel and plan on going that route, but he'll need his nail trimmed right away if the breeder doesn't do it. Figured I'll start off with the tired pup nail clipping with regular clippers, rather than trying to introduce him to a dremel right away. And being their nails are so small, a dremel might not be the best idea at 8 weeks.

·
Registered
469 Posts
beware of 'a tired puppy is a happy puppy' my girl doesn't know when to cut it quits and her 'tired puppy' becomes a very grumpy puppy :)

Same thing with my pup- Mog, you should include (if you haven't already; I started skimming) that if the puppy has been thoroughly excercised physically and mentally and is still being super bitey and grumpy, then he's most likely overtired and it's time to put him in the creat for a bit.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I haven't Tulip and I think you said it very well yourself, thanks for adding it!

There's so much to learn and so much to remember, just trying to help the other cluless people like me :)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
The bench seat protector by top paw is worth it! The microfiber/waterproof. When Cody was sick I had picked him up from the vet, it was hard on him getting in the car,had to be helped in, he got in and peed, i just folded it over it, I had a sheet under it, when we got home there wasn't a drop on the seats! I was surprised! Also,maybe after pup has grown a little, I like the leash that has an extra handle down close to the clip, and raised feeders for food and water, I read it is better for them than eating from bowl on ground, especially when they get older.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I just put the Top Paw in my car last night :) The reason I bought it, was that there was a review from someone who said they had a lexus where the back head rests are part of the seat and it fit. I have a Nissan Altima and the back head rests are the same. It actually fit pretty well with the elastic straps they have at the top. I haven't put my daughter's car seat in yet, but that should keep it in place very well.

I've been reading about the raised feeders... still on the fence about those. I'll have to look into them a little more.

·
Registered
381 Posts
There's something I wanted to mention here about PetPlan, which was pointed out by another user who unfortunately ran into this...

When you sign up for PetPlan, it will ask you what date you want the insurance to go into effect. Well... the one thing they don't tell you is that there is actually a waiting period! So do yourself a favor and if you decide to go with PetPlan, start the insurance 2 weeks BEFORE you're bringing your pup home...

Here are the details about the "waiting period", which really should be disclosed when you sign up for the plan... So if you bring your new pup home and he has any problems, typically a parasite infection, it will be considered a pre-exisiting condition and not covered! So what would you have? You're puppy covered from day one? Or the policy end two weeks earlier... I find this a little deceptive on their part, especially when they ask you the exact date you want the insurance to begin. Had I known about their waiting period, I would have began it 14 days prior to the day we are taking home our pup.

Petplan policies are effective at 12:01am (EST) the day after enrollment. There is a 24-hour waiting period for accidents, a 14-day waiting period for illnesses and a six (6)-month exclusion for problems associated with cruciates and patellas (knees).

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I love this, thank you! looked at it and ordered a few extra things =)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
My pup becomes a zombie when tired. She stumbles around trying to find things that are off limits. She only sleeps in the crate and then shes on her back with paws up. And shes not very landsharkey, but if I run away my pants, butt, or jacket is getting bit, she put hole in at least 3 pants and 2 down jackets.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You're welcome Viper.

Wanted to add a couple of things I've found out since Max came home:

Microchip: If you get a dog that is microchipped, check with the kennel, breeder, etc, if the chip has been registered. Most install the chip, but they are not registered; that's something you will need to do and there's a nominal fee, usually under $20. Also, you don't need to pay the "renewal" fee... once your dog is in the database, he will stay in the database and you can update the information indefinitely. The renewal fee is just for the extras.

1st Vet visit: Most breeders require you to take your new pup to your vet the first 48-72 hours. Regardless... bring your pup in ASAP and bring a fecal sample and have a fecal test done! A lot of puppies will have nasties (Giardia, Coccidia, etc) and you want to find out if they do and start them on anti-biotics asap. The test and anti-biotics are not that expensive and it will be really stupid IMHO not to have it done :) Our pup had both Giardia and Coccidia...

You're cute, adorable, fuzzy puppy and the landshark stage: It's all a sham, he's won't be that cute, adorable, fuzzy puppy for long! Enjoy and I mean enjoy the first week or so with your new pup! After that you have several months of landshark syndrom! I thought that since after a week and a half our pup was mouthy, but no where near as bad as what I've read about here, I may have been lucky... But nope, after he got over his anti-biotics and felt better and became used to his new home and pack, it was like invasion of the body snatchers and someone stole our cute pup... It will come, whether you want to belive it or not! lol Two nights ago our pup transformed into the cute fuzzy piranha :wild: known as the landshark... But he still loves his belly rubs, which is good.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
You're cute, adorable, fuzzy puppy and the landshark stage: It's all a sham, he's won't be that cute, adorable, fuzzy puppy for long! Enjoy and I mean enjoy the first week or so with your new pup! After that you have several months of landshark syndrom! I thought that since after a week and a half our pup was mouthy, but no where near as bad as what I've read about here, I may have been lucky... But nope, after he got over his anti-biotics and felt better and became used to his new home and pack, it was like invasion of the body snatchers and someone stole our cute pup... It will come, whether you want to belive it or not! lol Two nights ago our pup transformed into the cute fuzzy piranha :wild: known as the landshark... But he still loves his belly rubs, which is good.
Thanks for adding this, now that we all have our sharks ;)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hey, with all the posts I've read about landshark pup, NOWHERE did they say you get a grace period for a week or so and you better take advantage of it!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Flea and tick treatment: I'm really opposed to dosing our pets with chemicals, especially puppies. I've read so many negative articles about Spot On that I wanted to try something natural if at all possible. I recently read a post where Karma highly suggested Springtime Bug Off which is a natural insect repellent. Basically air dried garlic that you sprinkle onto your pups food. I've read a lot about garlic and a lot of people recommend it, so I placed an order and I received it yesterday and started Maximus on it this morning. Right now they are running a special where if you buy two 2.5lb jars, you get one free and free shipping. I can't recommend it from first hand experience, but think it's definitely worth reading up on and for me, using it over Spot On meds. Here's the link: Bug Off Garlic for Dogs | Natural Flea and Tick Repellent | Springtime, Inc.

Karma also suggested Cedarcide which has products for treating your yard as well as treating your pet. I purchased a quart of BEST YET in a spray bottle to use on Max before we go out in the woods, down to the lake, etc. It's an organic flea and tick treatment and it's active ingredient is Cedar Oil. From their website, it not only helps control, but they state that it's a contact killer that works on Fleas, Ticks, Mites, Chiggers, Silverfish, Roaches, Ants, Carpet Beetles, Springtails, Scorpions, Spiders, Mosquitoes and Flies. Basically the Cedar Oil is a natural pest control. I'm not sure how strong of a smell it give off, but from what I've read, your pup will smell like cedar :) A lot of people like the smell, but some don't. What I really like about it, is that it can be used in the house (just noticed ants near the kitchen door where I feed max), around kids, pets, etc... I really hope it works as well as they state it does. Here's a link to the info page and how to apply it: Natural Alternative Pyrethrin Premethrin Pet Allergic Reaction Dog Cat Puppy and here is a link to the quart spray bottle I purchased: Natural Flea Killer Spray Organic Flea Treatment Kill Fleas Dogs Cats Horse
They also have a product called PCO CHOICE which is used to treat your yard. I purchased the quart size which comes with an attachment for your hose, so you can measure and spray it out. It's a little pricey at $75, but after considering what you will pay for your Spot On preventatives, if it works as well as it says it does (and seems like it will), it's not expensive at all. After I found two ticks on me after a trip to the lake with Max, I really felt I needed to try something and this product sounds great. Again, I can't recommend it from first hand use, so if it's something you may be interested in, do your own research and see if it may be something you would like to try. Here's a link to the page with info and how to use the product: All Natural Pesticides Green Biological Pesticide Products Green Pest Control and here is a link to the product I purchased:
Chemical Free Outdoor Bug Control Chemical Free Lawn and Garden Bug Spray

Again, please remember that these are products that someone else here recommended and I'm purchasing them on that recommendation and wanted to pass that information on to others so they can research the products and see if they may be something they would like to try. If they work as good as expected, Max will never have to see any Spot On treatments. I feel it's definitely worth trying and will update over the next few months as to how I feel they are working.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We're going through the process of getting all the necessities for our new pup, so I definitely appreciate this thread!!

I found the MidWest Life-Stages Folding Dog Crate 48 x 30 x 33 for $95.45 shipped from PetSupplies. This was the cheapest I'd found it anywhere. Maybe that'll help someone else as well! Back to shopping! :D

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
a. Sit – Sitz
b. Stay – Bleib
c. Down – Platz
d. Come – Hier
e. heel – Fuss
f. Stand – Steh
g. Retrieve/Fetch – Brings
h. Jump – Hopp
i. Go out – Voraus
j. Track – Such
k. Guard, watch –Pass auf
l. Bite – Pack/Fass
m. Out, let go Aus (ows) –
n. Leave it – Lass das
o. Go outside – Geh Raus
p. Go inside – Komm rein
q. Speak/bark – Gib laut and/or Sprich
r. Correction word / No – Pfui (fooey)
s. Good boy – Braver Junge (correct translation), Braver Hund, So ist es brav
t. Praise word - super, gut, richtig
u. Quiet - Ruhig (roo ig), sei ruhig
v. Shut your mouth - Halt den Mund (correct translation) Halt deine Klappe (is slang),
w. Roll over– Rolle
x. Dead - Tod
y. Play dead – Spiel tot
z. Revier - Revier/Voran
Corrected a couple of things :)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
We're going through the process of getting all the necessities for our new pup, so I definitely appreciate this thread!!

I found the MidWest Life-Stages Folding Dog Crate 48 x 30 x 33 for $95.45 shipped from PetSupplies. This was the cheapest I'd found it anywhere. Maybe that'll help someone else as well! Back to shopping! :D
Cheaper on wayfair.com

21 - 40 of 52 Posts