German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking three 16 week old monsters to the vet on your own is no picnic.

I called when I reached the parking lot asking for help, well actually, I told them that I had three monsters out here that I needed help with. I got them in the car, and that was a major feat in itself. Rhoda jumped out of the window before I could get Ruby in with her, and the whole time their mother was trying to get out of the kennel and come too.

I let the vet tech handle Rhoda (the big one) and Ramona (the little one), while I took Ruby, (the crazy, high everything one). But she led the way, and the others did follow.

The exam went well. Other than a direct hit to the face with a razor sharp toenail and smeared eye glasses, the vet and the techs, and I were pretty much unscathed. I felt bad for the vet, but when you are dealing with puppies, you have to protect yourself at all times. I got a pup and put it up on the table, and then his eyeballs were out of Harm's way.

The got two shots: the five-way Parvo/distemper, and the rabies. I know a lot of people separate them, but I haven't had an issue doing this. They are 16 weeks old today. One should be going home tomorrow.

I dropped them off at home and gave them back to their mother, and then took Quinnie to the bank (lost my debit card, so needed cash) and to be weighed. She is about 10 months I think. Can't remember exactly how old she is. She's a little thing, 49.2 pounds. Rhoda, the biggest of the 16 weekers was 42 pounds today, and the other two were 32 and 35. So the werewolf is just little. She'll grow yet and fill out, so I'm not worried.

Anyhow, we got in the door and got her weighed and I was going to go to the other side to pay my bill, but the gal behind the counters said she would take me there. The other side is where people leave, this side is where people come in. It's easier to pay your bill where people are leaving because you can see what is coming at you.

An older lady came in, and Quinnie was fine, Ok. Then I saw a guy coming in with a cat that looked pretty ill. So I moved around the corner to let him in, an ill cat does not need an inquisitive young GSD bothering it. Then some guy came out with a little dog, and little dogs don't require leashes because they are, like, little. So he just told his dog a couple of times to come on, and that my boy (she's a GIRL!) is three times your size, so leave him be. Quinnie was good and ignored the small dog. Good girl. Aimed a kick at the jerk as he left, but I missed. Probably a good thing.

Quinn was interested in the three dogs behind the counters, because she could now see them through the bars of the baby gate. But she did not bother them or bark. Good Girl!!!

I got the baby bill paid and my papers and got out of there and I was pretty proud of Quinnie. She made it through four of the six puppy classes I signed up for and 3 of the 6 obedience classes I set her up for before I had puppies and had to skip one after another, for one reason or another. She hasn't actually gone anywhere in a couple of months. So I was really, really proud of her. Got her back in the car and on the road like it was just another happy day.

I had to make her collar and her martingale bigger, so she has grown quite a bit since we were last out. And since she looks thin as a rail, that is some significant growth -- before she looked a bit puppy-healthyish -- lots of hair, extra weight, etc.

And, after dealing with the 4 month olds' leash manners, she even was really good on lead.

"If, by the end of the day, you smell like a dog, it was a good day." not sure who wrote that, but I like it.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Sounds like a great day. I had 5 to take the first time by myself. Then again took all with me just for one pups recheck. I have a mini van, so all are in crates. Two by two.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it was a lot easier with the explorer. Now, I put them all in the back seat of the Honda.

But once you get them in there (the hard part), and get the vehicle moving, they all calm down and crash on the seat. They even stayed in the back seat. I mean, they could jump into the front seat and help me drive, climb down where the pedals are, run their toenails up over my eyeballs -- but they seem to know that chilling in the back seat is cool for car rides. How did I get that lucky?

I did take two of them to PA last weekend with the girls in the back with them. Suppose they learned to just stay in the back and told their littermate that was how its done?

I don't know, but they did not pee or poop in my car, and the one rushed to the area of the kennel the moment she was set free and assumed the position, so she actually waited. And, I haven't done anything in the way of training for that. They like to potty on wood chips, and will take themselves out of the doggy door to do so. But it just seems to work out that way.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Nope, you potty trained them. I have one that is going to the area of the yard the adults go potty. I have taken them there a few times. She took herself there a few times now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts